1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pointless car??

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by sleep envy, Jan 29, 2008.

1. sleep envy

sleep envy Member

[Jan 29, 2008]
    During my on going saga with Smith Knight Fay (which I won't go into save to say they're making a massive loss on selling me a car and I'd be surprised if the saleswoman hasn't been sent for some intensive training) I've been given a 57 A3 2.0 TDI 140 Q S-Line manual as a courtesy car.

It's a nice place to be with pretty much every box ticked but I'm wondering if you really need 4wd with such a low output. So much so I think it ruins the car - it's far less responsive than my front crawler and I'm losing well over 10 mpg (it's only done 8k so far but 31mpg is pretty shocking).

If I had shelled out for it I'd be kicking myself as I'd have plumped for the S3 for a few K more and pretty much the same running costs.

Will the car give more mpg as the engine loosens up or will it forever be an odd ball?
  2. sleep envy

sleep envy Member

[Jan 29, 2008]
    just a normal 2.0 TDI 140 Sport - hard as I try it refuses to give less than 46 mpg

FWIW it's done 29k
  3. SteveTDCi

SteveTDCi Active Member

[Jan 29, 2008]
    my dsg is averaging 44mpg
  4. jamiekip

jamiekip Guest

[Jan 29, 2008]
    My dads golf GT TDi 140 was low 40's until about 2000 miles when the MPG started creeping up as it loosened up. He's a very conservative driver as well - his pub bragging is what MPG he can get on a long run!!!
  5. steveg9

steveg9 Member

[Jan 30, 2008]
    hmmm... my first 'tankful' gave 37 mpg. Methinks the 'full' tank I got from them instead of the half tank Audi promise wasn't full!!!! 40 miles into the next tank and the needle is still above full
  6. sleep envy

sleep envy Member

[Jan 30, 2008]
    not too sure the amount of fuel in the tank determines how many mpg you're getting

more to do with driving style

doing London - Plymouth - London today so will zero the trip and see what it does on a mix of M-way and A road
  7. steveg9

steveg9 Member

[Jan 30, 2008]
    nah... what I meant was that if the tank wasn't really full when I collected the car by brimming after 355 miles I've put in 43L whereas I prpobably only used (say) 38 or something. So the apparent consumption is artificially low. What I should have done was fill up straight away, then my top to top would have been correct...........