Pointers on what to look for buying 8PA 3.2 Quattro

Jason_NZ

Reaction score
I have made the decision that we are upgrading our current car to a Audi A3 (8PA) 2003-2009 5dr Sportback 3.2 Quattro
We are after 4 doors and something fun to drive and mod
the write ups on 3.2s tend to be a whole lot better than the 2.0s plus i would like the extra power.
Ideally Im after a white one (alternatively black or dark grey) and would like to lightly modify it with some 19s and gentle RS3 facelifts similar to that such as this beautiful little example: (I think im in love with it)
http://www.volkscarphoto.com/fullrangeaudis3/
would also do the black grille and headlight upgrade if required.

looking to get 19" rims either Audi R8 Replicas or TSW Nurburgring
will they go straight on with the factory suspension?
it sounds like 19s might result in guard rub?

Also im curious to know as I havent been able to find it anywhere
did the 3.2s come factory with a turbo option? or is it relatively easy to upgrade?

I would like a manual one, but here in NZ we only have auto/tiptronic ones!!! wtf? grrr
also I would love the double moon roof one, but I have only seen 1 with a single sunroof
looking at buying in about 10 months time, Im thinking about possibly importing one, to get the dbl moonroof & manual option (im guessing the chances will be low?)
any kiwis that could give me advice on importation would be helpful

I have been busy reading the A8/Ap forum FAQs.

You guys seem to have a great community here

Last edited:
Hi mate,

Ive recently bought a 3.2 myself so may be of assistance,

The first thing id do when test driving any 3.2 is try and hold the revs at 2k, if the needle is bouncing around everywhere walk away as it COULD be the timing chain (i found out the hard way but luckily the software update and coilpack recall sorted mine out).

Also listen out for an obviously loud timing chain as stretched timing chains are relatively common.

Other than this i think theyre mechanically pretty good (im 2 months in on 73k miles and no problems so far)

Turbo upgrades weren't a factory option unfortunatly, and bolting in an aftermarket unit costs somewhere in the region of £10k ive heard.

To facelift the car you will need a 09+ bumper, headlights, wings, front panel and bonnet.

Im not too sure about 19s/coilovers on these cars yet as im still new to the A3 myself but someone else should be able to advise you on that :)

Good luck and stick some pictures uo when you buy one, its the best car ive ever owned so far, my previous car was a Mk5 Golf GTI and this is 10x better in my opinion, you wont regret it :D

Reactions: Jason_NZ
Hi, I just wanted to point out that with little effort the 2.0T can be modified to produce more power than the 3.2, with a much wider power band, miles more torque, and much better mpg. It will never sound as nice though, unless turbo spool is your thing.

Hi Jason, I have a 3.2, bought last October.
As above, there are one or two issues surrounding the ecu upgrade and coil packs. The coil packs are exchanged by Audi free of charge but, the ecu upgrade will have to be paid for.
It's a great car and my one just had the upgrades last week. It runs 100% better with this work carried out.
Re. the timing chain, as long as you change your oil at 6000 mile intervals, you should be alright. There are videos on Youtube of an 80000 mile 3.2 engine, that never had a service or oil change, it was a shocking sight - but it was still a runner.
They are good cars the 3.2's, I always fancied one, (like yourself), and I have been really pleased with how it performs.
I have my one on 18" BBS CH alloys, it is on coilovers lowered 40mm, Powerflow exhaust, and it makes me smile every time I start it up.

Go and get one.....:icon thumright:

As above, timing chain.

My mates R needed a new one and its HUGE job. Most garages turn it away or charge £1000+ for labour.

Reactions: Jake 61 and Jason_NZ
The 2.0 is much more tunable but a lot less fun, my old gti was stage 1 running around 245bhp and still didnt feel as 'alive' as the 3.2 does, i got bored of the GTI after about 5 months

As above, timing chain.

My mates R needed a new one and its HUGE job. Most garages turn it away or charge £1000+ for labour.
It's an engine out of the car job and if I was quoted £1000 for labour, I would bite the person's hand off.
Most of the stories on here range from £2500-3500.
Preventative maintenance and oil changes are defo the way to go.

;)

Ive seen a few do it with engine in car, but gearbox out, transfer box out, whole passenger side of engine taken apart.

I asked 2x mechanics who run their own garage for my mate, and both texted back something that included a word sounding similar to duck and off..

He eventually found someone to do it mates rates, but he took engine out as above!

Reactions: Jake 61
Noted, I'll definitley be on the lookout for a noisy cam chain. as it sounds horrendously difficult and expensive to fix.
Will be an improvement on coming from a jap car, already paid to have cambelts replaced a couple times.

Regarding the coil packs, sorry im showing my noobishness here :sign imnew: but it has something to do with the ignition?
how would I know if it has been replaced or not? is there a register where it can be looked up or a way of telling? (diagnostics?)

What is involved with the ecu upgrade? is it a recall item also? just not one that audi cover?

Also i might have to be acustom myself to learning how to use VCDS diagnostic software.

What are the differences mainly between the S-Line and non versions?
is it typically an aero package & sat nav headunit or is there more to it?

Coming from mid 90s jap cars there a re a few neat features upgrades well be able to experience for the first time.
Such as paddleshift & heated seats, and a few extra airbags
The wife and I had a look at a couple here in the long weekend, and the wife was impressed much :icon thumright: as was I
her most liked feature however was the pop-out cup holder o_O

If you call Audi Customer Services they will tell you of any outstanding recall work to be done. The coil packs, (the HT leads and individual coils), are covered under a free replacement, the ECU upgrade has to be paid for. It is only required on pre 2006 cars, as anything newer has the latest software.
My one was done two weeks ago. It involves an hour for the coil packs, (allegedly), and about 20 mins for the ECU upgrade.
Unfortunately, the dealer couldn't get my one to start after the ECU upgrade and had to fit a brand new one. Unfortunately for them, that is.
It was a result for me as they didn't charge me for any of it in the end and the car is now running very sweetly Indeed.
S Line versions have different bumpers with no rubbing strips, uprated suspension, steering wheel upgrade, half leather or full leather, black headlining amongst other options depending on what was specified when new.
Every Audi is different, which makes second hand buying a bit of a compromise.

Thanks jake very helpful, yes Im at the mercy of the second hand gods atm...
fortunately there seem to be plenty of S-Lines kicking about over here we get all the jap imports however so are limited to what is available from there
I'll definitely go for the S-line priority should an option present itself. I definitely prefer the leather over the suede/coth
however seats could always be replaced should it be an issue.
Im looking at importation options seeing if any better spec cars are available (from other than japan)

Reactions: Jake 61