POI Database builder

mcaddy

Reaction score
After having a battle with the POI builder on the MyAudi site I decided to reverse engineer the database format and write my own application to build it 'off line'.

It's a bit niche in it's functionality at present but I'd consider adding specific features if others would find it useful?

-- Firstly a bit of background --
I'm a geocacher, which ostensibly is a kind of treasure hunt game that uses GPS cords to identify the locations. I like to find caches when I'm out and about and in my previous car this was achieved using an app on my mobile, however as I spec'd the Tech Pack on my new car, I decided to see if I could get the cache locations loaded onto the Car's nav unit. Audi told me it would be possible but the reality was a little more complicated than the concept. It was after a struggle with the website that I decided to build my own.

-- Now the techie bit ---
There are 8 different 'cache types' and as such to get a unique icon for each you need to supply the Audi website with 8 different gpx/csv files, this would be ok but the Audi site has a 5mb file size limit and the 52,000 caches I need to load result in some files that are too large for the site, as a result many changes where required to the files before I could load them onto the site. New caches are released all the time so needing to process and re-upload the files on a regular basis, it just wasn't practical. As a result I was expecting to revert to my phone, however I decided to have a go it reversing the files on a SD card built from the website and my POI builder app is the outcome. It's written in C# (.NET 4.5), built using Visual Studio 2012. At present it takes a GPX file, as supplied by the Geocaching website or tools like GSAK, and will merge the geocaching POIs with any existing POIs stored on a SD card. It's not had an enormous amount of testing but seems to work with the files I've tested it with.

I'm guessing very few of you 8V owners are also into Geocacaching 8V so in it's current format probably won't be much use but if others have any requirements give me a shout and we can see what can be done.

The code is published at https://github.com/mcaddy/audipoi and I'd be happy to consider any collaborations to build new features

Reactions: quinnii
We go geocaching, but don't have tech pack or sat nav on the Audi. But it sounds cool, I wish I had the necessary tech to try it!!!

I literally have no idea what I have just read....

Reactions: mcaddy, Steph67 and JM11EEE