1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plug-and-play solution for DRLs (382/P21W) on A6 4F?

Discussion in 'Member Enquires' started by fishyfish, Apr 9, 2013.

1. fishyfish

fishyfish Member

[Apr 9, 2013]
    Hi Trups,

I have bugged you before via PM about this, but I can't seem to get rid of a slight flicker with the LED day running lights I currently have on my 2007 A6 Avant (xenons with P21W DRLs).

I get no errors, but I get a "pulsing" flicker every few seconds, and its just noticeable enough to drive me insane (and I fret about it come MOT time).

I did grab a "canbus error canceller" from ebay, but couldn't get the barsteward to fit (not helped by the ridiculously tight access to the headlights), and I'd really like to avoid chopping into the wiring. Have you found or fabricated anything in terms of a plug-and-play bulb and/or loom that will cooperate with our cars?

Cheers,
    Adam
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. t8ups

t8ups Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Apr 10, 2013]
    Adam,

Please send me a link of the cancellers you have and il tell you what to do to get them fitted in there.

I want you to try them to see if that gets rid of the flicker.

Thanks
    Trups
  4. fishyfish

fishyfish Member

[Apr 10, 2013]
    These are the ones I got: 2 x LED WARNING CANCELLER P21W BA15s 1156 LOAD RESISTOR NO CANBUS OBC ERROR | eBay

There just didn't seem to be a way to make that socket/holder match up to where the existing bulb holder goes.

What I did notice is that the wires can be unplugged from the stock bulb holder via a two pin molex-ish plug arrangement, so I could conceivably insert something in the circuit if I could find the male and female bits to replace the bulb base and socket on the canceller...

Cheers very much for any help you can offer ;)
    t8ups likes this.
  5. t8ups

[Apr 11, 2013]
    These will fit, 2 lugs need to be shaved off, i have these in stock, what i will do is take pictures later of the lugs you need to shave and they will fit in nice and tight.

Trups
  6. t8ups

[Apr 20, 2013]
    Shave these 2 lugs off - [​IMG]

That will then secure 2 in place and this will fit in solid.

trups
    fishyfish likes this.
  7. fishyfish

fishyfish Member

[Apr 27, 2013]
    Thanks a million for this, man... you are a life-saver!

I have just managed to fit these thanks to your tip, and the flicker has been cured. Halle-bloody-lujah! :)

PS: I presume, because the DRLs are not being run at full power, that the resistor box will not get hot enough to worry about, so it should be fine just stuffed inside the headlight with the rest of the wiring, right?
    t8ups likes this.
  8. t8ups

[Apr 27, 2013]
    Ahhhh Great :)

No they will be fine, i have sold to 2 members on here for their B7 and they have been going 3 months with no issues of them resting inside.

Glad they all work.

if anyone wants these ready to fit them let me know and i can supply with a Cree bulb :)

Trups
  9. Jakes3

Jakes3 New Member

[May 19, 2013]
    Hi Trups I am after changing my DRL to led on an S3 2007 can you supply the bulbs and resistors I would need.Many Thanks JakeS3
  10. t8ups

[May 20, 2013]
    hi Jake.

I can supply the bulb but this resistor will not work on the 8p S3.

if you have access to VCDS then you can re code the Car to accept the LEd so it works error free.

Trups
  11. Piggi89

Piggi89 New Member

[May 25, 2013]
    Hello, i have the same resistors as in the photo, also purchased from ebay. I have 25w cree led p21 bulbs but was getting bulb error warnings. Plugged the resistors in today to see if they worked and it stopped the bulb warning on my Audi a3 2006 with bi xenons. Was trying to figure out how to fit them as the socket was different but I see from your photo to shave off the 2 lugs and they will fit. Thank you for posting that, very helpful. I see u said to use vcds to recode to save using resistors. How do I re code. My friend has a garage and has a new snap on car computer is this able to recode or do I need some special vcds?
  12. t8ups

[May 26, 2013]
    Hi.

you do need VCDS to re code the car, other tools wont work im afraid. when I have tried these on the A3 in the past they have bought up the error still so only coding on the A3 as the BCM modules are completely different to that of a b7 or c6.