Please reassure me :-)

Adamd85

Reaction score
I’ve just bought an A3 1.6 TDI Quattro, c3 months old (16 plate) with about 5k miles on the clock from an Audi dealer (it was a demo car). Over the last few years we have done about 8k miles which consists of mainly shorter journeys during the week (10-20 minutes) with some longer weekend trips (30 miles +) and then odd longer journey interspersed (say 200 miles once a month or so). We did talk this through with the dealer, but no mention of DPF… (neither did a BMW dealer that we spoke to either to be fair) …

I’ve had it less than a week, and so after having done the first 60-70 miles I’ve had one instance of the fans staying on after I’ve arrived back home and switched off the engine, which I understand is the cooling down of the engine / DPF after an active regeneration is disrupted. This was after probably a 40-50 mile round trip on A roads that morning, followed by a few shorter journeys in town later in the day. After doing a bit of reading online, the next two evenings I took the car out for a longish drive on the A roads for about an hour or so each time, trying to keep the revs over 2500 to try and allow it to resume its regeneration, which I assume it did (!) although I don’t know how to tell if this had happened except some odd mpg readings ranging from 15 to 300, and I noticed it idling at about 950 once (compared to 800 usually), but no more fans once off. As I say I’ve had it less than a week so it’s impossible to make a long term judgement, but

I’ll be honest, before I bought it I wasn’t aware of a DPF or the implications, so I’m getting a bit paranoid that I’ve been sold a dummy! Having spent the last few days frantically reading everything I can on DPF, I’m hoping some of your nice chaps can reassure me that I’m not in for a world of problems! From what I’ve seen, a lot of problems seem to be with older diesels with a DPF, so I’m hoping technology has improved enough to try and minimise the issues – is that a fair assumption? I’ve read that avoiding supermarket fuel can help, so I can live with that, but is there anything else I should be thinking about? Do I just put it to the back of my mind and forget about in the knowledge that it will take care of itself, and just be prepared to take it out for a longer drive if I ever interrupt a regen, and hope I don’t really have any problems?

Hope you guys can give me some advice or reassurance! I see quite a few diesel VW, Audi, Merc and BMWs about parked near me, or driving in London, so surely everyone can’t be doing 20k miles per year!

Cheers.

its normal don't panic.. my Q5 used to do this on a regular basis as my work commute is about 3.3miles (to be exact :)) id often park it in the garage and it would do its 'thing'

freaked me out the first time, then i read the forums about the DPF.. it shouldn't do it after every drive but in my case 3 times a month maybe..

had no issues with my Q5 what so ever other than the fact its was a big truck and handled like a boat :):)..

chill and enjoy!

Reactions: pburv
Hi, i wouldn't worry too much. I've had my 2.0 tdi for around two months now & always fill up from Morrisons - I mainly do a lot of short journeys to / from work in urban traffic area's and I've never had any issues yet. Only gets a longer run out on a weekend every now and then. The fan has only ran a few times that i can remember over the past few months. I'm not worried at all, still just madly in love with it! If the message ever appears on the dashboard i'll just take it for a good thrashing on a weekend and it will regenerate, like you said it will take care of itself and let you know when required. Enjoy your new car, slightly jealous of your quattro, i can only imagine what that handles like!

Coming from 3 Golf GTDs with the 2.0 TDI engine to an A3 with the same engine, I've never had an issue with DPF regeneration. Admittedly I cover around 20,000 miles per annum, mostly motorways. The odd time I'm aware of a regeneration, it's usually when arriving home after a short run when the engine continues to run for another 5 minutes or so with the fans staying on. Nothing to worry about.

I have the 1.6TDI and had the regen fan a few times. Nothing to worry about. Give it a blast every week or two and you'll be fine.

However, I didn't think Audi did Quattro with the 1.6TDI engine??

Thanks guys - it helps to know that you guys haven't had many issues. I guess I was concerned I may be constantly interrupting regenerations (not to mention the irritation of having to explain to everyone each time I give them a lift around town why my car sounds like a rocket in the car park!).

I guess that's the nature of the internet, lots of scare stories, but not much of the good news! Also perhaps VAG have got their act together and made more modern DPFs a bit more robust?

Shortyian - the Quattro is great, drives beautifully! :yes:

Any other good news stories on more recent diesels with DPFs gratefully received!!

Cheers all

I have the 1.6TDI and had the regen fan a few times. Nothing to worry about. Give it a blast every week or two and you'll be fine.

However, I didn't think Audi did Quattro with the 1.6TDI engine??

Out of interest what sort of mileage / trips do you do Scottyg?

I know they don't now according to the website, only on the 2.0 TDI...my car was built end of 2015 and registered by the dealer in March 16 and definitely has 1.6 TDI Quattro - perhaps they have phased it out now?! I'd never paid much attention previously so not sure what previous models had, but there are a few on Auto Trader with 1.6 TDI Quattro.

Cheers.

Reactions: Scottyg and pburv
This has happened to me twice in the same week believe it or not on the 63 plate I've just bought, however I had a 15 plate about a year ago, done the same journeys and that never done it (identical car/engine/transmission), bizarre, but don't worry about it, aslong as you vary your journeys, and make sure you give it a decent blast once a week, should be fine.

This has happened to me twice in the same week believe it or not on the 63 plate I've just bought, however I had a 15 plate about a year ago, done the same journeys and that never done it (identical car/engine/transmission), bizarre, but don't worry about it, aslong as you vary your journeys, and make sure you give it a decent blast once a week, should be fine.

By a decent blast, I assume you mean >40mph >2500rpm and >10 minutes? In theory would this reduce the soot loading back to 0, or just reduce it a bit, until next time?

Cheers for all replies so far.

By a decent blast, I assume you mean >40mph >2500rpm and >10 minutes? In theory would this reduce the soot loading back to 0, or just reduce it a bit, until next time?

Cheers for all replies so far.

What I used to say to customers was a good motorway run for 10mins 50mph+ once per week should be more than enough to clear out any build up.

Why buy a diesel when you do so few miles? Doesn't make sense...

I do about 6-8k miles a year. Most journeys around 14 miles (work and back). Give it a blast every time I get the chance.
Why wouldn't I buy a diesel if I'm only doing shorter journeys? This is my 8th diesel covering the same mileage.

Why buy a diesel when you do so few miles? Doesn't make sense...

Like I said, I wasn't particularly aware of the DPF and its potential for issues.

For the 8k a year mileage I do I will still get better fuel economy than a petrol. I understand the argument that if you pay a premium for the diesel in the first place it takes a while to pay for itself, but in this instance, that wasn't really he case as it was second hand, in fact the price was comparable to a petrol car, a year older of a lower spec so I wasn't that concerned.

Reactions: Scottyg
The lowdown torque of the diesel is great for city/urban/extra urban driving. Gives it that little poke (@pburv keep your mind out the gutter) you want but retain the mpg.

I'd rather drink diesel than own a car powered by the stuff, but I have to admit it is good for driving around towns and cities. Ironic really since it's one of the biggest sources of air pollution in those cities...

Reactions: davc and pburv
The lowdown torque of the diesel is great for city/urban/extra urban driving. Gives it that little poke (@pburv keep your mind out the gutter) you want but retain the mpg.
It's not my mind you should be worried about you 'perv'.......Little poke indeed....lol:whistle2:
Mr Hefner.....

Reactions: Scottyg and zippster
1.4 150ps COD petrol engine would have been far more suitable, it produce the same low down torque but more power than the diesel. Greater refinement, quieter and the OP would never have to worry about silly regen's because he's not doing enough mileage for a diesel..

Never had an issue with "silly regens" in last 8 diesel cars! Drive them properly and they are perfectly fine for OPs use.

Reactions: richinsoton, Max-Robbo and Adamd85
Never had an issue with "silly regens" in last 8 diesel cars! Drive them properly and they are perfectly fine for OPs use.
+1
Just get it nice and hot at least once a week and you'll be sound. Whether you'll make back the extra premium on fuel savings with short journeys and a 2-4 year ownership is questionable.. but I like my TDI, sue me! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scottyg