PLEASE READ: Theft warning for VAG customers

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all

A new a slightly unusual type of theft seems to have surfaced which is hitting the VAG community in localized pockets of the country. Please have a read of this LINKY thread, particularly if you are based in the West Midlands.

Apologies if you have seen it before, but you can never be too aware of this kind of thing.

Cheers

Warren

Apologies, it is down. I've alerted the admin team and supposedly it will be back up shortly.

someone nick mine and do me a favour .......lol

someone nick mine and do me a favour .......lol

Take a day trip to Manchester. Stop for every passing pedestrian. Leave the doors unlocked. Maybe add an S3 badge? It'll be gone in a shot! (well maybe you will get shot...)

Typed on phone, so apologies it's brief.

Sounds like VIN numbers are being captured, taken to VAG dealers and (maybe) insiders are providing cut keys which thirds are using to rob contents of vehicles (nav/iPod/personal belongings etc..) BUT not nick the car.

One cars handbrake was let off and it was rolled down hill into other car. No alarms going off, so bit of an odd one to go beyond mirror theft,

Take a day trip to Manchester. Stop for every passing pedestrian. Leave the doors unlocked. Maybe add an S3 badge? It'll be gone in a shot! (well maybe you will get shot...)

Could be tricky convincing the insurance...

Do you think it would be worth putting this in the General Car Chat section??

but isnt a new key of audi like 150 quid so it kinda defeats the object you will hardly make any money ? They must be steeling the cars with the keys surely , This is being warned on auto trader to ?

If it is insider job there who can say what is being paid. There has been a spate of issues, and people are still trying to work out what's going on. As no broken glass or forced entry I think this is believed to be the prime candidate.

Worth keeping your eye on the thread in case it progresses.

Have no idea what's happened to SEAT Cupra.net, first time I've known it to be down this long for years!

Would it be worthwile putting some tape or card on the inside of the screen to cover the vin plate or is it possible for the dealers to cut a key from the reg number?

Would it be worthwile putting some tape or card on the inside of the screen to cover the vin plate or is it possible for the dealers to cut a key from the reg number?

I am tempted to save any hassle.

Thread on SCN is back now, forum is back up.

So lock your car with the key in future... :)

:yes:!!

I'm not so sure the exact point source of the break in has been mastered from reading the thread, but it's always concerning to see the security systems being circumvented. I wanted to post the thread to make any locals in the areas mentioned aware to the likely risks.

I'm going to pretend my S3 is an electric car and hook it up to the mains!

:ninja:

Thanks wasn't aware of this..think it's also time I got the anti-hijack fitted in!

The thing is, the keys from germany arent coded fully anyway & the remote part isnt even done until it gets to the car itself as it cant link with the security systems until then, as others know when we syncro our keys we have to go into vagcom/5052 if not syncro'd before & go through a process, keys from germany on newer cars like 8P have the vin & brand aka audi, vw etc encoded on the immo chip at audi germany, then the rest is done at dealers.

Also when getting keys you must have several forms of ID, V5, loads of docs to even get anywhere near a key, trust me been there.

Now of course the actual blade itself can be cut beforehand, but alarm would go of if opened by key on its own iirc, well mine does anyway, (goes to test.................)

Number of variables to get answers to really as thats why when ordering new keys we have to bring car & existing keys with us as you must do them all at the same time.

Maybe some keys are being cloned as this also can be done, there are tools out there, is there a common garage or location to the thefts.

It must be some form of scanner that reads the signals being sent from the remotes.

Last edited: