1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help reverse light flickering

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by benr, Nov 28, 2008.

1. benr

benr Member

Hi,

Ive just noticed both my reverse lights flicker. under load (if i ride the clutch) they nearly/do go out. The rest of the lights in and out of the car arent affected.

Ive taken the reverse bulbs out one by one to see if its a dodgy bulb and it doesnt make a difference.

I looked for the fuse but couldnt find it, its fuse 7 but they are not numbered so i dont know.

Wobbling the stick doesnt seem to have an effect so doesnt look like dodgy reverse switch.

Checked the connections to the bulb holders.

Can some please help as i have no idea. THANKS

2. Timmc

Timmc Member

That will be the electrical connector onto the reverse light switch on the gearbox, exactly the same happened to mine. Looked like water had got onto the connection and the wires went green and corroded through. Costs about £5 and takes 10 minutes to do.

3. benr

benr Member

a little search and liiks like it could be the reverse light switch...

No idea where it would be though so may just take it to a garage at some point....

any input would be appreciated

4. benr

benr Member

Cheers for the reply. Do you know what part it is. Is it the reverse light switch? and is it DIY? is there a guide about?

5. benr

benr Member

Hi can someone let me know if this is a DIY fix for someone without much experience?

Where is it held and is it actually a new switch i need? Where is it?

6. Timmc

Timmc Member

If it is the switch they are about £10 from somewhere like TPS, but if it is flickereing the way you're describing it then I'll put money being on the connector that connects to the switch which is even easier and cheaper to fit.

To find the reverse light switch open the bonnet, look down at the gearbox directly below the battery and you should see it there, bit of a bugger to get to though.

7. benr

benr Member

Thanks very much i think they have gone out completely. Hoping its just the wiring. Its a 1.9 tdi

The gearbox is below the battery. Will i need to remove the battery/tray etc to get to it.

The gearbox is really below the battery? i thought it would be under the gear stick lol... Do you have any more advice? would it need a new connector or just reattaching?

Cheers