PLEASE HELP BRAKES changed not as good

hoban81

Reaction score
Myself and my mate today changed my rear discs and put new pads on on myA3 1.8T 2001.

I bourght the correct parts and my mate has do this many times before everything went until I went to drive home, the brake pedal feels to soft and the brakes are not as responsive the same with the ESP on and off bled the brakes twice and checked for any leaks which there were none.

Any advice into this would be great and I will slept eaiser tonight SNOW is coming.

cheers in advance

u should also bleed the clutch slave cylinder if its hydraulic clutch , plus more importantly did you clean the new discs with brake clutch cleaner before fittment if not u will have to remove pads n discs and clean them and also will need too rub down pad surface with some wet n dry , reason being the discs are coated with a protective lube when new which MUST be cleaned off before fittment

There would have been no need to bleed the braking system if your only changing rear discs and pads.
Should have been just a case of removing the reseviour cap from the brake fluid tank, winding back the pistons on the rear calipers, change discs/pads and replace everything and pump brake pedal till firm.

Why did you feel the need to bleed the brakes?

I had to bleed the brakes because i did not have a piston rewind tool so had to take of the caliper to rewind it after having fast clio's for years I have never needed one was a surprize when I saw them.

I cleaned the discs with cleaner before I put them on.

in future matey a g clamp and a peice of flat metal bar makes a brilliant rewind tool turn the bar and the apply more pressure with the clamp the turn some some and repeat until the piston is fully retracted works every time for me and never had any probs as for the brakes again check the above silly question had to do this on the ibiza and not sure if its the same with audis did you change the abs ring over to the new discs if not this will confuse the abs no end and may cause problems again not 100% sure on that last bit of advice

has the handbrake taken the slack up in the rear caliper ?? Did the wheel lock with the handbrake ??? they are self adjusting but they can go faulty

dont understand how you managed to get the pistons to go back.
the hand brake system within the caliper is a mechanical one. even with the hydraulic system disconnected, youd still need to turn the pistons to get them to go back. theres a fixed threaded rod in the back of the piston that ratchets up you need to trun the piston to get it to go back.
did you clamp the pipe when you disconnected the caliper? which pipe did you clamp? the one directly to the caliper is a metal braided pipe and shouldnt be clamped (you'll break it internally). the one that goes from the car to the wishbone you can clamp.

you can buy a wind-back tool for about £20 you know.

As u turn the metal bar the piston turns then you add pressure with the clamp I haver done the brakes on my a3 but I did it on my mk2 Ibiza gti and it worked I clamped for the back of the calipers to the piston

Just a quick update Bled all the brakes at the weekend and the master cylinder took 1hr, all done brakes are GREAT.

Thanks for all the advice.