PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!

I wish the police were allowed to be bad-***, hanging for thieves. These people have cheated natural selection for far too long!

On the subject of garages. What percentage of people with garages use them for what they were intended, not many.

I'd agree. Certainly along my street more cars sit on the driveway with the garages empty, than cars get garaged.
It's not that the cars won't fit...'cos they will.
It's not that the garages are full of 'stuff'...'cos they aren't in all cases.
Maybe laziness?

There is also an element of one upmanship where you leave your lovely new cars sitting out for the neighbours to admire/be impressed by.

How many of those claim to put their car in the garage on their insurance to save a few quid - a few more i bet.

I suspect so.

There is also an element of one upmanship where you leave your lovely new cars sitting out for the neighbours to admire/be impressed by.

I've got the crappest cars in my street, no doubt about that.
I'm surprised the neighbours haven't ganged together and told me to use the garages, lest I affect house values...:sorry:

Someone told me a story of a bloke they know in Manchester, who drives a piece of crap car.
He got sick of the windows being broken by junkies looking for loot, so he put a sticker on it saying;
"Car unlocked, please do not break the windows"
It would still have to be hotwired to drive it away, but I wonder how his insurance company would view that?
He does have it insured for theft.

This of course assumes that the morons can read,or take the time to do so,which is frequently not the case.

Some years ago when I worked in London,if I was in for the weekend,I could virtually guarantee that on Monday morning, the car would have been broken into,even though the wires for the stereo were easily visible in the hole where it used to be.

In my 'court' there are 16 houses and four bungalows. Two of the bungalows have elderly residents who do not have a car. One has had the garage made into a room and the fourth leaves the car out on the drive. Of the 16 houses only myself and one other put a car into the garage. The rest park their cars on their drive or if they have two cars, their own car is on the drive and the company car is on the road/pavement.

In most cases it's because there is so much 'clutter' in the garage and it's not kids bikes etc as all but one do not have any children living in the house.

I hope you don't mind us 'hijacking' your thread phantom. We are all sorry to hear about your S3 but also very glad and relieved to hear that your wife and son were not harmed, at least physically. If you think you don't want another S3 perhaps a lesser A3 would be a good compromise. Still a good car but less desirable to the car thieves.

I sometimes think the best answer is to leave the car keys hanging on a hook just inside the front door or in the hall where they can easily be seen so that at least if anyone does break-in the can find them easily and be on their way. At least there is less chance of harm coming to whoever is in the house.

My wife and myself both take our keys upstairs with us at night. I beginning to wonder if that is such a good idea.

Of course there are situations where you'd be daft to lie.
Like a petrol station, where the theft would be on CCTV.
But, equally, there are scenarios where you could lie and say they must have stolen the keys from the house.
Your house doesn't have to be locked for something to be considered stolen.
If, by some stroke of luck, they managed to find the scrote and he pleaded "the keys were in it", you could equally reply "no they weren't"
Hopefully hypothetical scenarios anyway, but interesting all the same.

we actually managed to recover the car some 8 weeks after it was taken and the only things missing were the owners manual, tax disc and number plates. The key was even in the ignition ! One thing that is annoying is that it has to be missing for a month irc before the insurance company will payout leaving you without a car for sometime. My brother had a Seat Arosa stolen of all things and both the police and the insurance company were not very helpful.

damn it Leon... as above.. really sorry to hear that! Something needs sorting!!

Really sorry to hear this mate, hope you find a solution quick and dont loose out too much!

Jonny

Question...Is this really very common to get your car stolen from keys within your house i would like to think not as our premiums would be sky high would say more chances getting it broken into or stolen from a car park or should we all be panicing !!!!!!

GIAC do a nice addition to their software where in you can immobilise the car indepently of the standard immobiliser.

Mind you, you have to have a flashloader to do this.

Just a thought.

ln any case everybodys well being is more important than a car.

Tonight my car was stolen.

I had gone to work ( i take my wifes little Yaris and left mine at home ) the wife was letting the dogs out the back , when two lads burst in and demanded the keys , my son was up watching Chicken Little......

They got the keys and was off in a S3 flash , without taking a single thing ( laptops , game consoles , tv's) and never asked for money or jewellery.

TBH it's been coming , last friday the side porch door was forced open ( this was at 8pm they were spotted ) while we were in.

This friday as i was leaving for work ( times vary by the way ) i saw a lad looking shady near our house i asked him what he was doing " whats it got to do with you......I'm waiting for my girl "

Police have been round and took a statement , SOCO are coming tomorrow.

One things for sure , win , lose , or draw , i won't be getting another nice car again.

Thanks

p

Genuinely gutted for you mate, but glad you and and your family are safe and sound after the ordeal.

Any mount of debate and analysis wont change what has happened.
At the end of the day you have had some terrible fortune, but I hope this doesnt dampen your obvious enthusiasm and passion for cars.

Enjoy your Xmas and hope 2009 yields some better luck.
Keep us updated.

Cheers
Paul

I think the best deterent is to remove all the wheels every night before bed and hide them!!! :)
BTW, I know what you mean about garages. In my street I am the only person to put my car in the garage. It comes out when I drive it and goes back when I return. The only time it is left on the drive is when I am washing it....and over my dead body is someone gonna nick that after I have spent all that time cleaning it. Regards insurance though, when I moved to the house I am in now I told the insurance the car would now be garaged....they said it didn't make any difference in the premium if it was on the drive or in a garage. I would like to think the police would catch the bas***ds who took the car, but I don't think they will and even if they did nothing would happen...just another statistic and nowhere near as important as somone throwing an apple core out the window or doing 35 in a 30

Question...Is this really very common to get your car stolen from keys within your house i would like to think not as our premiums would be sky high would say more chances getting it broken into or stolen from a car park or should we all be panicing !!!!!!

It is becoming more common, especially where cars are stolen to order, because modern cars are now much more secure. With ignition transponders, immobiliser etc it easier for the thief to break into the house and steal the keys. Also they often need a set a keys to be able to sell the car on, often for export and dealers often want proof of ownership and identity before they will supply keys.

No they would 'happily' pay out. They would assume that you were basically a 'honest' person and normally put your car in the garage, thus reducing the risk slightly, most of the time.

Unless of course it was a very expensive or desirable car which they would only insure if it was locked in your garage at night and not left out on your drive, in which case they may decide to investigate and ask the neighbours, for example, if you normally put it away.

Would insurance pay out with this example...

Scenario 1
Vehicle registered and insured at my own home address (either driveway or garage)
Vehicle then parked overnight at parents address (staying over at parents) and vehicle is stolen.

Scenario 2
Vehicle registered and insured at my own home address (either driveway or garage)
Vehicle parked on street in city centre (shopping day) and return to find it stolen.

In both cases, the vehicle is officially registered at home address but stolen at different location. Would insurance still pay out?

After some advice from NHN I am in the process of making myself more anonymous on this forum.

I found a thread in which many of us revealed our names. I won't point it out here as it'd be an obvious source of information but it may be an idea to edit your posts gents.

I have realised that someone could have VERY easily found out the address I am at right now from info I have given.

Paranoia? Maybe. Do I care? f$%k no.

Really sorry to read about this Leon. At least your family are safe.

S

Keeping it hidden will help a bit, but do you keep it in the garage all the time you're at home, from the second you arrive until the second you leave?

Not me, luckily I have a common TDI engine so its not exactly a hot hatch! A friend of mine was a victim and that is exactly what he does, as do others I know with high value vehicles.

As for not being followed, how you supposed to do this?
Just how paranoid do you want your life to be, for a ****** car?

They are guidelines for people with prestige cars, most people don't bother even thinking about it until something like this happens or they hear about it closer to their location. Even with my car I have it in my routine just to glance in the mirrors as I come closer to home.

Oh I also forgot to mention the victims of car theft all had cars that were not garaged.

After some advice from NHN I am in the process of making myself more anonymous on this forum.

I found a thread in which many of us revealed our names. I won't point it out here as it'd be an obvious source of information but it may be an idea to edit your posts gents.

I have realised that someone could have VERY easily found out the address I am at right now from info I have given.

Paranoia? Maybe. Do I care? f$%k no.

I'd agree with you if these were rare vehicles, however it is very likely this was not related to anything online.

Though I do suggest that the most you should do online is give your first or second name only and the region you are in. If you need to give more a PM to the appropiate individual is better. In addition to this hiding your plates could help.

The lowest amount of information someone could find you with is your full name and area ie. John Smith of Salford. Even then it would be a mission for them to search through, still can't be too careful though.

I'd agree with you if these were rare vehicles, however it is very likely this was not related to anything online.

Though I do suggest that the most you should do online is give your first or second name only and the region you are in. If you need to give more a PM to the appropiate individual is better. In addition to this hiding your plates could help.

The lowest amount of information someone could find you with is your full name and area ie. John Smith of Salford. Even then it would be a mission for them to search through, still can't be too careful though.

Judging but recent posts there have been some cases that indicate that these thieves are using forums to gather information.

In my case I have a quite a rare surname.

これで、ここでは、少数の歴史と語ったが必要だ 無名の英雄 この土が削除されます ある人は、継承はされています 造幣局からの輸入 人々の多くがないのにネウルエウンイ 事実、この老いたहेごみमेरे 彼は帽子にゴミ収集した これは、うわっイレオルスがズボンです そして彼は、フラットに住んで協議会
彼は'真のनानाである 大きな皿の後に起動チクヒギル 彼はउन्हें得ることができる職業を持って 彼は根が何उन्हेंデイジー電話

That's certainly true. 7 years, 10k in premiums and never claimed a penny. Should be free by now surely!!

Didnt someone run into you and drive off when you first got the car?

What was the outcome of that BTW?

Didnt someone run into you and drive off when you first got the car?

What was the outcome of that BTW?

He didn't drive off but he did deny it. I had to pay out mate. My excess was about the same as the repairs.

yes, this does work - pressing the button on the fob does nothing when the car is running, but you can insert the key into the door and turn it to lock\unlock.

Thanks for that Marc, I won't now need to try it.

Leon, sorry to hear this. I'm glad the family are ok and I hope it doesn't spoil Christmas for you too much. I also hope the scum that did this get what they deserve.

I read in the paper about the RS4 that got stolen locally a few weeks ago.

I hope you haven't been put off too much and one day you're in another nice car again sooner than you think.

Leon,

Only just heard and logged on mate. Really sorry to hear about this. The main thing is your wife and kids are ok mate.

They actually bricked all my back french windows and run in. Then beat up my girlfriend and me even though they had the keys to the car which were on the stairs when they came in.

They then run off without taking it! I've sold it now, not worth having.

To go back over some previous comments in this thread -

About Leon having a flash car for his area has nothing to do with it. I live in a a nice area which is next to two nicer areas, There are much bigger houses with flasher cars parked outside on my road but the plod reckon they wanted the S3.

Apparently they are the choice car now and are being used in Manchester/ Liverpool for jobs. They use them as they can out run the plod around town and still give them a good run for there money on the motorways.

Garages - Like Bowfer said they don't make a blind bit of difference on your premiums and its something else they'll come and get the keys for. Probably whilst holding a knife to your throat.

When they want it they come for it whether its hiding in a garage or not and they will use any methods to get it. My girlfriend got punched in the face by a bloke and they had the keys and she wasn't even doing anything....

They are scum and they don't know the difference between right and wrong. Should hang them for what they do.....

Mate i'm glad your ok and that your family are too

Paul

I feel for you and your girlfriend Paul. It's just totally ***** what people do to each other.

That ticket to Oz is looking more and more sparkly.

Phantom hope christmas and new year eve was good for you and the family. Happy New Year Eve mate...Just wondering what happening about the whole car situation? Police said any thing or your insurance?

Ashley

Just read this thread now....really sorry to hear about your car mate. As has been said in this thread, your wife and kid weren't hurt and that is all important. A car is a material possession that is easily replaced.

@ Eagle79, really hectic stuff mate. It reminds me of how bad things can get in SA, what you described is similar to house robberies here. Only difference is that lots of people tend to lose their lives by being either shot at or hacked to death. After reading this thread one realises that crime is rampant worldwide.

Take care guys and look after yourselves.

I feel that I live in a very safe area but I have to say that I am paranoid about people following me along the roads to my village and have often driven past my village to a roundabout two miles up the road and driven around it one-and-a-half times just to make sure that I am not being followed. I do not even like people knowing that I have the car.

Matt

Gosh - sounds like your life's ruled by your car.

If I ever got to that point, I'd get rid of my car, and just buy an el cheapo.

No way am I going to allow a lump of metal, however exotic, to raise me to the kind of paranoia yours obviously has.

To the OP - Sorry to hear, as been said previously at least you and yours are ok.

I don't think it is necessarily S3s being targetted, when I ran Imprezas and Evos it was all over the respective forums about being the choice of the thief.

In terms of insurance, if there is a material fact that the insurer can back out of any claim, believe me they will. Has happened to me before on an old Mini I ran. It had non standard wheels that I failed to declare, not through any attempt to deceive, I just didn't think it was relevant. Now I declare if the car has a magic tree hanging off the mirror. So if you do declare garaged and park on drive, you may have an uncomfortable wait.

For note, I declare on drive but park in my garage religiously. Unfortunately it gets parked at the station all day every day which somewhat balances the risk.

Bowfer always spices up a thread! Man I only just found out about this Leon! So sorry to hear that pal, can't believe they broke into your house! Glad your family is okay, don't let these people put you off having a nice car!

fit solid doors with mortice locks that way they can get upstairs if they do do the same with the bedroom door so your bedroom is like a panic room also get a second imobiliser on the car done and dont keep it on the keys get a pitbull or a nice eater lol and a few weopons like macheties ,bars round the house etc that should cover it the only way they will get your car now is dragging you out so in that case get a tracker .. thats my guide on how not to get jacked and remember most of these kids jacking are skinny little cheaky ***** i no they look scary but most of em you would knock the **** outa them

fit solid doors with mortice locks that way they can get upstairs if they do do the same with the bedroom door so your bedroom is like a panic room also get a second imobiliser on the car done and dont keep it on the keys get a pitbull or a nice eater lol and a few weopons like macheties ,bars round the house etc that should cover it the only way they will get your car now is dragging you out so in that case get a tracker .. thats my guide on how not to get jacked and remember most of these kids jacking are skinny little cheaky ***** i no they look scary but most of em you would knock the **** outa them

wrong for so many reasons but still...i'm single and live alone so +1