Pleasantly disappointed with the new A4

WillC8

Reaction score
So, I have an A3 saloon on order atm and one of my worries when making my decision to put my order in, was the new A4 was launching at the end of the year. What if I really liked it and what if it is a massive hit, potentially killing the residuals on used A3 saloons. Well after seeing the pictures released, I am very pleased to say, I am very happy with my decision with going for the A3. Apart from the new interior, which looks great, the exterior looks very bland, almost Passat like. Maybe the new RS4 may change my mind later on, but in the form they have shown, think the A3 saloon wins hands down in the looks department!

If you want a small saloon, then I can't think of a nicer looking one than an A3. You'll love it.

Reactions: Blackwhite and Madmo
Yeah, they played safe with the exterior of the new A4 which is good for current A3/S3 Saloon owners.

Hmm, someone seems to have left their iPad on the dashboard.

Reactions: Ignition1 and Dave-o
Looking at the photos of the interior I wonder if the screen folds down to horizontal and then slides away?

I like the A3 air vent styling which I thought they may have taken across to the new A4. But that full length vent, may not be but that's what it looks like, doesn't do anything for me. Also, is the auto gear leaver not the same shape as the old VW DSGs? Have to agree with OP, the current A3 Saloon looks better and has nicer proportions.

Lol, I thought the exact same thing. The Hudl on the C-class is the one thing that ruins the interior for me, so it would be a shame for Audi to follow suit. Also think the placement of the gear shift and MMI are a bit odd, seems like it would be in the way of the MMI and not sure about the placement for a manual box.

Reactions: Dave-o
Looking at the photos the interior looks great. just like the A6.

Exterior, meh.

Next gen VXs are meant to be going down the Android tablet route. Don't think I'll be back in that stable if they do. I think the screen size in the A3 is perfectly proportioned. Think I'd need to sit in the A4 to see if it is the right size or takes over the cabin.

The A3 saloon is definitely one of the nicest, most well proportioned, and beautiful saloons out there in my opinion. I personally thought that they were going to take some styling cues from the A3 saloon and improve upon it in the B9 A4, but it turns out it looks uglier and more bland.

Having said that, the interior of the new A4 is one of my favourite, if not my favourite, in the Audi range. So simple, practical, beautiful and looks easy to use.

Yes, and I was really surprised to see this as I understood the reaction to Merc doing basically the same had been generally negative.
I still think that the the photos show the screen in it's 'out' position and I suspect it will fold down to horizontal and slide away. Perhaps they are trying to get everyone to buy for the Virtual Cockpit option (£1795 option on the TT) for the navigation.

Does anyone normally drive with the screen out all the time? Personally I have mine down all the time unless I need it up for a particular reason.

I still think that the the photos show the screen in it's 'out' position and I suspect it will fold down to horizontal and slide away. Perhaps they are trying to get everyone to buy for the Virtual Cockpit option (£1795 option on the TT) for the navigation.

Does anyone normally drive with the screen out all the time? Personally I have mine down all the time unless I need it up for a particular reason.
In 2.5 years of ownership I've only ever retracted the screen when I'm cleaning the windscreen. It's too good to hide :)

Reactions: cemerson, Cymru09 and Scottyg

Screen down most of the time for me, too. It seems that Audi's systems people would have been better to have the screen stay in whatever position is was left at (up or down) when the car was turned off like the car's other systems - radio, climate, etc. Hopefully, they will reconsider before the RS3 sedan comes out!

Even though no one is reporting this.

I get the sense that the A4's cabin is Prototype.

2017-audi-a4-interior.jpg

I don't see Audi giving the A4 a full dash LCD + a full 8" LCD Nav screen.
They didn't even give the new TT a LCD Nav screen.

An A4 with a full dash LCD that the A5, A6, A7, and A8 doesn't have. Yeah right.

Remember Audi promised us this dash and we ended up getting the same dash screen as the VW Golf and Jetta.

audi-a3-concept-steering-wheel-photo-388792-s-986x603.jpg

Why is there another screen when the dials turn into a screen ?
And that gear knob is like the VRS one..awful

What's the bets that the full dash LCD is a (very) expensive option, and the basic spec will be normal dials? Pretty sure that interior above will be with a lot of options?

There's a few things I don't like, why make the cabin minimalist, and then have 1-6 buttons in front of the gear lever? Yes I'm sure it's for ease of use but it sure looks bad.

And I'm not sure you can see it in the image, but why have 2 different button shapes behind the electronic parking brake? Makes my teeth itch lol ..

Looking at the photos of the interior I wonder if the screen folds down to horizontal and then slides away?

Pretty sure it will. The pop out screen is one of Audi's party tricks that they have over BMW and Merc. Keeps the screen clean as well. The Audi A6 has a large folding screen which, if I recall, comes out horizontally then tilts up.

I test drove an A Class and while the rest of the interior is OK, the screen looks like an after thought - like a cheap tablet they've stuck on with double sided tape. Much prefer the subtler BMW or the Audi's pop out.

I used to keep the screen out all the time but now I keep it down more often than not.

Interior looks way too much like a BMW's to me. After owning 3 BMW's I'm no fan of 'em I'm afraid

Totally agree. I couldn't put my finger on it why I was less than impressed with the interior but you hit the nail on the head.

I am currently driving a BMW (until next Friday when I get my A3 saloon ) and its boring interior was one reason for switching to Audi.

Not sure where Audi are going with the tablet thing. The flip out screens are great. The A6 is fantastic. The screen slides out and up and is borderd with nice aluminium. And then the car has a very nice set of dials with a large DIS in the middle. The facelift improved on this. That's what Audi should stick with imho.

Reactions: Ignition1