Play in steering wheel

c_dog

Reaction score
I have started to notice gradually more and more play in the steering wheel, but not enough to bother me. But today driving home there was a noticeable difference, needing maybe an extra 1/4 turn on the normal! Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks

Sounds like your tracking may be out. Only £35-£40 to sort out but make sure you get the 4 wheel set up done if its a Quattro. All those pot holes jar the wheels out over time. Mine was the same seemed to sag slightly one side in a straight line. :racer:

It makes an electronic whirring when going from lock to lock, is this normal or am I being paranoid now? Worried if it's something like power steering going or something equally expensive...

It will make some noise given its PAS, have you checked fluids aswell & also as mentioned check tracking, but is the wheel straight when wheels are straight, if not then tracking would probably sort, if are then something amiss with rack or PAS system overall.

Would any PAS problems get thrown up in VAGCOM?

Not sure on 8L mate, but when you say play, can you advise this is when you turn the wheel quarter turn but the wheels dont even move until after this quarter turn or you saying the wheels move left to right when turning at all times just the wheel isnt straight when the wheels are straight

sounds like the steering column, had mine done a few years ago around £300