1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planned spec for 1.8 Quattro TFSI- thoughts?

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Ryanytchan, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Ryanytchan

Ryanytchan Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Hi All,

This is the (nearly final) spec of the 1.8 I'll be ordering this weekend. Please take a look and see if there's anything I'm missing/don't need. Thanks in advance!
    P.S One question for the typre pressure monitor- does it tell you the PSI or does it only come on when there's a puncture detected? Reason I'm asking this is trying to find a way to check tyre pressure on collection
    It's a five door, by the way

S line 1.8 TFSI quattro S tronic 180 PS
    Glacier White, metallic
    Adaptive cruise control (ACC)
    Perforated Alcantara/leather with S line embossing
    Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights
    Audi Parking System Plus
    Audi Sound System
    Comfort package
    Door mirrors – auto-dimming on the driver's side, electrically adjustable, folding and heated
    Electric lumbar support
    Hold assist
    Interior lighting package
    Panoramic glass sunroof
    Progressive steering
    Technology package
    Tyre pressure loss indicator
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. arad85

arad85 Active Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Personally, I'd add the adaptive cruise - apparently works really well. Also, I assume you are going for the 5 door sportback - the electric seats can't be fitted to the standard 3 door. Pressure monitor just detects deflation. No sensor actually telling you tyre pressure.

Don't need? That's personal. I don't think you need to spend £30k+ on a car, but that's not the point.... :)
  4. Ryanytchan

Ryanytchan Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    How much would the adaptive cruise set me back by? The options are expensive enough already haha
  5. Itguy

Itguy Active Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Personally I'd ditch the electric seats as (as far as I know) they don't have memory and the reversing camera (as you've got parking plus which has visual rep on the screen anyway) and spend the money on getting the tech pack without connect as the screen res is much nicer, it does far better maps too, plus can play DVDs. If that doesn't float your boat then upgrade to B&O as it's just EPIC.

Adaptive cruise will be £350 extra as you've got the comfort pack added already.

If a sportback, considered Roof Rails at all? Also, what about privacy glass - looks great on Glacier.
  6. Ryanytchan

Ryanytchan Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    I don't think memory would be an issue as I'll be the main drive-or are you talking about something else? The main reason I added it was for resale value as a lot of people seem to have it specced.
    Is the park plus detection good enough?
    I won't be mounting anything on top and my passengers would most likely to have a clear view, so no for both of the last options. Thanks though!
  7. Itguy

Itguy Active Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Personally I think you'd get more value out resale inc the tech pack rather than the electric seats. Remember any standard car can be upgraded to have SD satnav just by buying the card - you can't retrofit the tech pack with the nicer screen, hard-drive for music etc etc, it really is much better. The only reason I'd ever look for electric seats in a car is for the memory function so when my wife drives she can have her own setting and then so can I. If it doesn't have this then i'd not be fussed.

Park Plus is great - obviously it doesn't show you a video but the screen does show a birds-eye view of the car and the sensors front and rear together with arced lines showing the swing of the car based upon the current steering lock. It's very nice. I've had cameras on cars before and I have found them a bit of a gimmick personally.

Fair enough on the last two - all down to personal preference :icon_thumright:
  8. Ryanytchan

Ryanytchan Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    That makes sense, I've included the tech pack now and removed the camera. I don't think Ill go for ACC- normal CC is good enough for me and I prefer to have more control over the car anyway, else it'd be too 'automatic' for my liking.
    I see that you've got build week 7, when did you place your order and when do you think I'll have mine delivered? I was quoted a late march delivery last week I headed down to the dealership.
  9. PembsA3

PembsA3 Active Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    I ordered two weeks ago tomorrow. Confirmed build week 4 and delivery for March 1st handover. (SB TDI 184 S line Quattro S tronic)
  10. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    ACC is brilliant for me, completely removes the frustration of trying to use normal CC on a busy road and constantly enabling/disabling it.
  11. Ryanytchan

Ryanytchan Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    ah so you guys are using it in heavy congestion situations? I was just thinking of long distance motorway driving. Might be worth getting it then if you can use it at low speeds?
  12. Itguy

Itguy Active Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Acc with stronic works right down to zero mph, even working in stop-start traffic. It's incredible.

I need to to update my sig, my build week has been pulled forward to wk51 (16th dec). I ordered my car on 7th oct.
  13. Itguy

Itguy Active Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Acc option also includes the emergency brake function too - think of it like a second pair of eyes ready to do an emergency stop for you when you are daydreaming... Could save you from having a shunt.
  14. arad85

arad85 Active Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
  15. arad85

arad85 Active Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    PS. with the s-tronic, I think it is a no brainer.....
  16. Ryanytchan

Ryanytchan Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Added to spec!
  17. cemerson

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Even on a busy motorway normal CC can be frustrating, ACC helps there too - but yes, ACC in my manual works down to about 10mph and I use it all the time in 30s and 40s for example. Probably even better in the s-tronic.
  18. Gswearengin

Gswearengin New Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    If you are a music fan, I would certainly recommend the B&O sound system. I skimped and ordered the Audi sound system as I just didn't think the price difference could be justified. Well, I was finally able to do a comparison between the two systems last night, and while the Audi system is good, the B&O is just amazing. I am really regretting not speccing it now (the good news and bad news is that it's too close to build date to change now). I keep telling myself that the Audi system will be sufficient and that the normal driving noises will eliminate the difference between the two systems under normal use. But that doesn't change the fact that if I could do it again or it wasn't too late to change, I would definitely include the B&O in my order...

GS
  19. cemerson

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Audi Sound System is great for me - set up the equalizers in a good place and it sounds fantastic
    Daveotto likes this.
  20. snowfree52

snowfree52 Full LED baby !

[Nov 13, 2013]
    would ditch the adaptative steering personally !
  21. arad85

arad85 Active Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Is that from a "I've driven it and it's crud" perspective or "the normal steering is just fine" perspective?

I ask as I spec'd it on mine - not having driven it but assumed it would be better than normal as the S3 has it as standard....
  22. Daveotto

Daveotto Well-Known Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    I am with you on this one........I think the Audi sound system is more than adequate for your average music lover.....putting this into context I would not spend more than ca £600 - £700 on a home music set up so why spend more for the system in your car. On the other hand if you have £1000+ worth of kit at home you might want to go for the B&O
  23. snowfree52

snowfree52 Full LED baby !

[Nov 13, 2013]
    I haven't driven it to be honest but everywhere I read about it in magazines that HAVE tested it they all say they don't like it. Then I couldn't find an A3 with this option at a dealer to try it. Therefore I didn't take it

Plus, the normal steering is just fine. With the paddles and flat bottomed steering wheel, perfect !

Take that from a guy who has a lotus Elise
    arad85 likes this.
  24. arad85

arad85 Active Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
  25. Itguy

Itguy Active Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    I have only driven the new s3 (which does have progressive steering) and I didn't find it a problem at all. Can't say I really thought about the steering though, it just worked!

I used to have an elise s1 and exige S S2 too as a comparison.
  26. RobH_S3

RobH_S3 Active Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Personally I'd sacrifice a few options and get an S3!
  27. Ryanytchan

Ryanytchan Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    I know, insurance cost is holding me back so I can't get any higher powered cars like the m135i
  28. Itguy

Itguy Active Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Have you checked the insurance - a serious question as I have found the new s3 to be very reasonable. It will be cheaper to insure than our mk5 golf gti, our 3.0 z4 too. Its only 60 more a year for me than my old MINI clubman cooper d.

the m135i insurance cost for us was over 100 quid more.
  29. paullowther

paullowther Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    I'm 23 with 5 years no claims. Since I started driving basically. My insurance is about 1k p/a for a £37,000 S3 which I didn't think was too bad. Especially since I used to pay £1600 a year for a 1.2 clio that cost me 4k! (My first car)

If you're buying on finance you'll probably find that the monthly payments on the S3 are considerably cheaper. Only worthwhile though if you don't want to own 100% of the car by the end!
    c.grex likes this.
  30. Itguy

Itguy Active Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Well said, residuals are key in getting the payments where you want them. I've heard that as the s3 is such a safe car it gets insurance discounts
  31. c.grex

c.grex Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    As Paul says, I'd get insurance and finance prices for a S3, It's costing me very little more than a standard A4 Tdi per month. Only if you are using the PCP route to buy your car.

And I have had and sold a lot of cars and the fact is no matter what people think about adding options to a car will do to the resale value, they will lose more than your car will. So don't ever add a option thinking it will make the car worth more when you come to sell it, just add them cos you want them.
  32. RobH_S3

RobH_S3 Active Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    The M135i is a totally different car though with it been a high powered rwd car. A lot of insurers require you to have a years experience of driving it before they will even consider you for cover. If the insurance quote you get fits I would deffo drop the 1.8 and go with the S3 even if you have to lose £3k's worth of options.
  33. Ryanytchan

Ryanytchan Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    I'll pay for the car upfront and will probably hold on to it for at least three years.. Does this render the S3 unfeasible?
  34. Ryanytchan

Ryanytchan Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    If I ordered a S3 instead and for the price to come to where the A3 is now the spec would be as follows:

S3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI quattro S tronic 300 PS
    Glacier White, metallic
    Alcantara/leather with S3 embossing on the front seats
    Adaptive cruise control (ACC)
    Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights
    Audi Parking System Plus
    Audi sound system
    Comfort package
    Door mirrors – auto-dimming on the driver's side, electrically adjustable, folding and heated
    Electric lumbar support
    Hold assist
    Inlays in 3D design ‘black’
    Interior lighting package
    Tyre pressure loss indicator

35. paullowther

paullowther Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Good spec, if I may just add my 2p's worth however. Drop ACC, or something of equivalent value and opt for the b&o. It's the one option that almost everybody on this forum agrees is the A3/S3's party piece! Unless of course you don't enjoy music... In which case ignore me!
  36. c.grex

c.grex Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    or my 2p's worth- stick to Audi sound system it's very good, and i felt the B&O only really beat it at really high volumes, at lower volumes I thought it was only slightly better and not worth the extra for me.
  37. c.grex

c.grex Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    That depends how much money you have to spend.
    I'd say a 3 year old S3 will always sell better second hand than a 1.8TFSI
  38. cemerson

[Nov 13, 2013]
    The ACC is considered by pretty much everyone who has it to be the party piece I think! I certainly do