1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Placing order this week - help me choose the colour!

daveb99 Nov 25, 2012

1. daveb99

daveb99 Member

I'll be ordering my 2.0TDI S-Line Sportback this week. I've pretty much decided on the spec, but there's one thing I keep going back to - the colour!

I was planning to get Daytona Grey, it's the same colour as my A6 so I know it well, I like it a lot, and it's fairly easy to keep clean. Plus I've seen Vertigo1's S-Line in this colour and it looked great (albeit in pouring rain!!).

However - I keep looking at photos of the new A3 in Phantom Black Pearl and really like it. It's more striking than grey, I know it's harder to keep looking clean and may need more attention in that respect - but I'd be prepared to do that.

I do fancy a change of colour after my A6, so the black fits the bill there, and I've had Phantom Black before (A4 S-line Avant) and it was stunning when clean.

So, I'd be interested in people's views on these two colours for the new A3. I'm not considering any others - just these two!

2. Jeff777LUFC

Jeff777LUFC Member

To be honest I don't think there is a right answer! I've ordered a black one, it's the one I decided on after much thought. However if I see a white one, it looks good. A grey one, it looks good. I think you just have to make a choice and stick with it, as it will look good whatever.

Personally my existing car is grey, and I fancied a change. It sounds like you're edging that way too!

3. number3

number3 Active Member

if i was picking out of those two id go black :)

4. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

I'm actually going to butt out of this one because I'm torn. Much as I like Daytona Grey, I've also had two pearlescent black A3s before (one Ebony, one Phantom), which is part of the reason I didn't want another. Not because I didn't like the colour - I loved it - but because I fancied a change. My last one was Lava Grey, which was about as close to black as you could get without actually being black, so felt a bit like cheating haha.

Basically the A3 does look very good in black and, if I'd not had a couple of black ones and a near-black one before, I might have been inclined to go that way. You won't go wrong with either.

5. number3

number3 Active Member

check Nardies post !!! pics of a Phantom black

6. number3

number3 Active Member

that's the same reason i choose white, I've had too many cars in black or grey was time for something Different.!!

7. PjDali

PjDali Member

From the pics I've seen so far on ASN, I can't say there has been a color I have not liked but for me if it's an S-Line your ordering Daytona Gray for me just shows off the lines of the car that bit more......haha I'd probably change my mind seeing 3 or 4 cars lined up in front of me in different colors, but as much as the black looks crackin I reckon I'd have def' opted for Daytona if is was an option.

Alas I have ordered a Sport so the Daytona was not an option for me...so next best choice was Monsoon Grey which was the colour of the A3 in the showroom and the one I test drove.

Must also add that in White it also looks fab especially with privacy glass also so good luck with your order :salute: it's a big decision

8. MiT

MiT Work Hard, Play harder!!

9. daveb99

daveb99 Member

Thanks everyone, I think I'll probably go for Phantom Black. It's very hard to choose when you can't see photos of what it will look like as a Sportback. Why were all the launch photos red and silver (ie not exactly the most popular colours when compared to grey, black or white!)?

I assume if I wanted to, I can actually change my colour choice up to a certain point in the order life cycle anyway (not that I plan to, but good to know I could)?

10. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

They don't tend to use dark colours for press and photo shoot cars as it's harder to see the details.

11. Jeff777LUFC

Jeff777LUFC Member

Check these pics out - looks alright to me!

Audi A3 sportback | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

12. MiT

MiT Work Hard, Play harder!!

There are white sport back pics on audi's Facebook page.

13. Jeff777LUFC

Jeff777LUFC Member