Piston Rings

Westy, are they genuine in any way? Would you perhaps not be best off going for some direct from TPS? or through jason? or am I missing something on the ad?

VW Jason couldn't get a better deal then £100ish IIRC

I said here! I'd even have given you the part number.

Sorry bud, I've been flicking around so much today I didn't even see this post :(

Them rings are fine westy made by nippon....quality products,,,
dont you put the drill in reverse few times to finish when honing?

Beachbuggy them rings seem very cheap what make are they?

So on the last invoice I have it says special sc500 with a part number 08-502900-00 price per set is £46 including vat. Now if anyone has problems ordering these from GSF let Me know as I'll get a few sets and just sell them at cost plus postage.

So on the last invoice I have it says special sc500 with a part number 08-502900-00 price per set is £46 including vat. Now if anyone has problems ordering these from GSF let Me know as I'll get a few sets and just sell them at cost plus postage.

Just phoned GSF and gave them the part number n it's not one of theirs. So they looked at one of their outside suppliers and found them but apparently they're out of stock and have superseded.

Ok, so after quite a few pms over the GSF piston rings and people not being able to order them from GSF I have just ordered 5 sets from GSF with collection tomorrow. Lemons3 has taken a set so have 4 others up for sale. I'm not making any money on them cos I'm nice like that :) rings are £46 per set. Postage £3.50 recorded. £1 per set for fuel for me to collect and visit post office. Total is £50.50. PayPal is good as long as fees covered. Pm with your interested.

Sent you a PM but just encase anyone else was wondering the same thing. Are the rings starting from the top 1.5mm, 1.75mm and 2mm?

Videos are in my build thread... I even gave you the link in your own post Westy ;P

<tuffty/>

On your crank to block

Involves lots more bolt replacement and is a pita with having to remove the crank pulley which is ****** tight

Just thought I'd plant the seed lol ;)

:lmfao:

stop upsetting him.....:)

Ooops lol ;)

But to be honest mate not worth doing them as it is such an agro to do, i would omly change them if removing the crank for a rebore or something

iirc think the ring positioning on 1.8t's was 120 degrees rotation so would be 12, 4 and 8 oclock but will check elsa when at work tommorrow as left the car/work laptop at work.... Doh

You may well need a diamond tipped needle file to gap the rings as when we was doing mine my normal needle files werent touching them and would have taken all day to file them down as they're rather hard and luckily managed to borrow a file off of a local engineering firm :)

You may well need a diamond tipped needle file to gap the rings as when we was doing mine my normal needle files werent touching them and would have taken all day to file them down as they're rather hard and luckily managed to borrow a file off of a local engineering firm :)

This is why I couldn't be ***** with doing the rings, ****** ball ache! How important is it to gap the rings if the engine hasn't been re bored?

These arrived today:

85b0a29f.jpg

ac5c04f5.jpg

c11e304e.jpg

Do I HAVE to use a set of piston ring pliers to fit these or can they be done by hand?

Just looking at the oil scrapper rings the set on the left, they look completely different to the stock ones and ones I've used. Not saying yours wont work, as I don't know that but they look a different type.

Stock ones are a metal U shaped ring that has a metal spring like coil with a wire running through the middle. That one above looks like the scrunched up Zigzag style with a ring underneath.

Like I say, not saying it wont work, just different.

And in answer to your question. A piston ring tool is good to use but it can certainly be done perfectly well without one.

Just looking at the oil scrapper rings the set on the left, they look completely different to the stock ones and ones I've used. Not saying yours wont work, as I don't know that but they look a different type.

Stock ones are a metal U shaped ring that has a metal spring like coil with a wire running through the middle. That one above looks like the scrunched up Zigzag style with a ring underneath.

Like I say, not saying it wont work, just different.

And in answer to your question. A piston ring tool is good to use but it can certainly be done perfectly well without one.
Yes just a different design, it does the same job...

I bought mahle ones, and they had the U shape and spring arrangement.

I'd seriously suggest using pliers. The rings are hardened steel and the pistons are very soft alloy, mash them together trying to prize the ring on and you'll easily take gouges out of the piston.

I have a set of these:
PRO 50mm 100mm PISTON RING REMOVER REMOVAL PLIERS TOOL | eBay

I bought mahle ones, and they had the U shape and spring arrangement.

I'd seriously suggest using pliers. The rings are hardened steel and the pistons are very soft alloy, mash them together trying to prize the ring on and you'll easily take gouges out of the piston.

I have a set of these:
PRO 50mm 100mm PISTON RING REMOVER REMOVAL PLIERS TOOL | eBay

They're exactly the same pliers i ordered last night :thumbsup:

Is the honing brush in the post Kev?