1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli's and wear rate...

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by marriedblonde, Jun 8, 2005.

1. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

Right who else has pirelli's on thier a3 2.0Tdi? I've covered a little over 6K in mine and the fronts are decidely worn. Are they just a soft tyre? Had thought I would have made about 15K at least... I know I have a heavy shoe but come on they are going to be shot in another 2K at most!

J.
  2. Lucefer

Lucefer Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Right who else has pirelli's on thier a3 2.0Tdi? I've covered a little over 6K in mine and the fronts are decidely worn. Are they just a soft tyre? Had thought I would have made about 15K at least... I know I have a heavy shoe but come on they are going to be shot in another 2K at most!

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

The P Zeros? I have! Well had anyway.

I definitely think that they are a softer tyre - I replaced my two fronts with Bridgestone Potenzas which seem to have lasted a lot longer (after doing 9k in them). But then again I'm sure I was probably heavier with my shoe as well when I first got the car than I am now...
  3. Japper

Japper Ibis S3 Fan Club

[ QUOTE ]
    Just turn the ESP off - that should help you catch up... !

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I always switched this off in the Golf because it was a pain, cutting in all the time. I very rarely switch it off in the Audi as I have to be brutal to get the light to blink at all.

Question is: even with it switched on does it limit power before flashing the light ?.
  4. Lucefer

Lucefer Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Just turn the ESP off - that should help you catch up... !

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I always switched this off in the Golf because it was a pain, cutting in all the time. I very rarely switch it off in the Audi as I have to be brutal to get the light to blink at all.

Question is: even with it switched on does it limit power before flashing the light ?.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure - but it definitely feels like it.

I had a Passat for a month before I got my A3, and it cut in so often - your right about the Audi, you do have to really BOOT it to get it to kick in...
  5. GARTHY

GARTHY Member

Which pzero tyre are they? Is the grip good, and are they noisy? I have the dreaded primacy and am looking at the pzero nero - anyone have any advice? I know there are too many tyre debates but I fancy something different to the F1.
  6. Paul_M

Paul_M Member

I've just had my front P-Zeros replaced at about 14k, they said the rears have roughly another 4-5k left in them.

I'm pretty easy on the car, definately not a hard/fast driver, and I do mostly motorway miles, so I reckon you could definately be looking at 10k or less out of a set of fronts if you do a lot of fast/hard driving.
  7. Lucefer

Lucefer Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Which pzero tyre are they? Is the grip good, and are they noisy? I have the dreaded primacy and am looking at the pzero nero - anyone have any advice? I know there are too many tyre debates but I fancy something different to the F1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pirelli P-Zero Rosso. 225/45 ZR17.

Fairly noisy yes, definitely quieter with the Potenza's - but no complaints with grip.

Top draw - but I don't think they're as durable as some of the rivals.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Rosso+Direzionale