Piping up a Front Mounted Intercooler (URS6)

smogthemog

Reaction score
OK, got most of the bit's on the way but I have got a few questions I need to ask before I start hacking around with the front of the car :confused:

Will I gain anything by piping up the new FMIC to the existing IC ? I.e. from the turbo outlet through the FMIC then into the existing IC and then into the manifold or would I be better not to include the original IC and remove it all together ?

I am thinking that the more cooling area given, the better :tocktock:
Seems a shame to remove it if I don't really have too + it will be easier to pipe up with it in there...... I think :)

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Just the front mount will do if its big enough.Having two its more about pressure drop and the extra stress on your turbo.Thats about all i can help you with but someone will be along soon who knows abit more about this.

If you leave the SMIC as well as a FMIC the pressure drop will be pretty high, ( ie less boost at the manifold) so i would suggest not leaving the SMIC if you HAVE to do this mod..

Really, if you are using the standard turbocahrger you will see no gains from a FMIC, the SMIC are more than enough to cope with the charge heat produced by the std turbo, even when its pushed hard after a re-map. A FMIC will only give you an advantage if you move beyond the thermal capacity of the SMIC, and this would only really happen if you are running a bigger turbo ot higher boost settings...

I noticed a big difference to the power delivery on my A4 when i fitted my FMIC.Pulls right upto the red line now,before it would tail off quite alot earlier.

Higher boost pressures on a TDi and and no throttle in the inlet, so reduced pressure losses are more easily noticable. I thinks that prob what you noticed.

Not the same for a gasoline vehicle.

Thanks for the info peeps :)

A larger Turbo is on the drawing board but not just yet.
I will endeavour to remove the SMIC then when fitting the FMIC.

You get extra power
FMIC_HP2.jpg

I think someones been busy with excel data!

According to that graph, not only does a FMIC release an extra 25bhp over the entire rpm range from 3500-6500 but it also makes the turbo spool up faster as the boost arises 300rpm earlier with the FMIC..

That power curve is also very strange, max power reached at 4500rpm and flat to 5600rpm..??!

Dont believe everything you read....I think thats pretty unlikely...

Got graph off 034 web site but what you say makes sense to it as my RR read out peaks at 6150