1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pipercross panel filter upgrade and filter cleaning

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Gavin Cooper, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Gavin Cooper

Gavin Cooper More power captain

Has anyone experience of the Pipercross panel filters on BT upgrades? Is it worth going for the 'fast road' filter as opposed to the standard one.

Standard...

[​IMG]

Fast Road...with heat shield...

[​IMG]

Also, does anyone know how to clean these filters without using the special cleaning products available from Pipercross. My standard one is covered in grease and dirt and desperately needs cleaning.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Gavin Cooper

4. SixDegrees

SixDegrees Member

Whats the time intervals for cleaning - 1 year / 20k miles. If you're planning on keeping the car a while then cleaning is an issue, if not whack it in and don't worry.

I think K&N is 50k miles per clean and can't ay I've kept a car for 50k miles, that would be 3-4 years and I get shot after about 2 years.... hence, never had to clean one!

Also, while performance filters do offer gains over std paper ones, its usual once the papaer one has done 10k miles or so and starts to get dirty, and at £8 - £12 a pop for a paper one you can buy a few of these and switch them out every 8k miles for less cost !!

:)

5. s4marsh

s4marsh Member

i believe the cone filters by k+n is 100000 mile service intervals from what i remember and a million mile guarantee

6. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk
    Site Sponsor

I predict issues from your piperX
    if coating it, you will likely suffer MAF contamination
    if not coating it, if it has'nt done so already, dust will be getting in

I would bin it & start again for £43 you get a ready to go cotton gauze filter from Green filters or equivalents.

7. Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps

Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps Site Sponsor
    Site Sponsor

thats my shout too bill, will have one off you soon

8. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk
    Site Sponsor

tuffty had a dry piperX in his S3... and a gritty MAF on what should have been the clean side of the airfilter..

I just dont personally like foam filters for their inability to stop dust, let alone dry versions without sticky coatings to catch the dirt particals.

9. S3 Rav

S3 Rav Well-Known Member

interesting bill. theres a couple of VAG garages that seem to rate pipecross. whats your opinions on itg filters?

10. Gavin Cooper

Cheers for the comments guys...

Just had the pipercross panel filter out of my car and it was disgusting. Covered in oil and grit and dirt, as well as the air box. Clean side of the filter was also oily and gritty.

(going slightly off topic...)

While taking the bits out I noticed quite a bit of oil inside the pipes that connect the MAF housing to the turbo. Took the MAF housing out and it was also covered in oil and some grit. Looked like small parts of the plastic mesh had melted as well?!?!? Maybe happened when the car died...

Cleaned the MAF sensor off with contact cleaner and washed all the air box housing and washed the filter through with warm water (I know, I thought i would give it a go though). Put it all back together, but still the same.

Have ordered a MAF replacement from local stealers which is my local TPS for £89 (exchange). Will also buy a green cotton filter while I'm out tomorrow as well. Would love it to be the solution to my problems, but my gut instinct is it's something else as I'm getting multiple cylinder mis-fires. Might need to change the spark plugs as well for the NGK Iridium Plugs (NGK-PFR6Q) while I'm at it. Will post update on the previous thread.

Cheers,
    Gav