Ping Type Noise Coming From Front Steering. As Much Help As Poss Please :(

Phil_T

Revo Stage 2+ Audi S3
Reaction score
As above since getting the car back from having the uprated clutch at Statller during low speeds upto 10-15mph the steering seems to make a metal ping noise, I think it is when I go full lock eithier side (Or at least quite far) & the best way to say what it sounds like is a metal ping noise almost like the noise you get when your exhaust is cooling down after a drive or when a metal clip fires off.

Any help please before it goes for further mods on weds at Statller, As I dont want to fit lowering springs then audi blame it on them

Most likely related to a spring or top mount. If the spring turns against the damper/strut it can ping back into position.

Is the car lowered?

On my old car when i put coilovers on i forgot to put the bearings in, so it made the same nice when turning.

No it aint lowered, have got the springs waiting to go on but want this sorted first. A guy on another forum suggested wheel bearings. Any other ideas???

Wheel bearings generally drone. Pinging usually means something is tensioned then releases, it may just well be that attention on the springs fixes the problem anyway! or at aleast means this aspect is checked (springs seated properly and top mounts correctly fitted/ok).