1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Piece of plastic on an oil level dipstick on S3 melted..HELP

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by s3facelift09, Mar 9, 2013.

1. s3facelift09

s3facelift09 Member

I noticed this today, I never really paid much attention to the upper part of the dipstick, nore I ever heard of such a thing ever happened to anyone. I noticed that a little piece of plastic stabilizer was missing, it melted or broke somehow I don't know, and then for a procaution until I buy a new one, I ripped off the remaining plastic so it does not fall into the oil pan. I don't know when did this happen, and I'm afraid that a small piece that was missing when I noticed this ended up in the oil pan. I don't know could this cause something to the engine and because it's saturday I couldn't speak to my mechanic, so if someone knows something. I would be much obliged. I drove my car yesterday to MOT, everything was normal, did not notice anything unusual. I've done an oil change in september, and have passed 7k kilometers since. Should I maybe do an oil change?? fotografija.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  2. KevinF

KevinF Member

Dont know about the oil change question but mine fell apart in my hands quite recently. £8 from Audi to replace.
  3. s3facelift09

s3facelift09 Member

Ok, but I'm afraid that a tiny little bit fell in the oil pan.. I don't know could it do something to the engine?
  4. audicruiser

audicruiser Audi Heaven

It shouldn't do any harm if a small piece like in the picture fell in, but to be sure then an oil change would be the best thing complete with filter.
  5. s3facelift09

s3facelift09 Member

Do you think that an oil change would flush it out, what if it stays stuck in the oil pan?
  6. chris.vincent3

chris.vincent3 Member

Drain it, then flush the engine then fill up with oil.
  7. autolatry

autolatry Member

Drop your sump and clean it out. There is always the possibility it could block you oil pick up pipe.
    But the chances are there will be nothing there.
  8. s3facelift09

s3facelift09 Member

Shoud I call a tow truck, or can I drive it to the dealer? I have 35 km to the dealers..
  9. s3facelift09

s3facelift09 Member

And I can't believe that on a 60 000 euro car, some plastic on a dipstick melts and fells in an oil pan.. I mean I am so mad, I would like to send this photo to the factory and ask them are they normal.. Why did it had to be made of plastic?