1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picked up my a3 on Saturday...

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by J17_KNO, Feb 18, 2013.

1. J17_KNO

J17_KNO Member

[Feb 18, 2013]
    Good afternoon everyone,

So I picked up my 170 s line Quattro a3 on Saturday from Liverpool (it's a long drive back to Aberdeen!).

Very very happy with it, wouldn't say it's a massive difference power wise from my 130 golf but that's not really why I bought it, I bought for the better handling, which really is superb.

So i have been reading through the forum and topics on VCDS caught my eye. Glad it did because I never even realised there was a DIS menu!

I do have a question about this though and what I've read. The way I understand it is that there are sub menus that can be enabled with VCDS, for example a convenience menu controlling come home lights duration etc. is this true? I'm guessing this would be limited to the spec of the car itself?

Because I will be going to someone with VCDS (friend of a friend of a friend kind of thing) I pretty much want to be able to enable everything that I can/would want in the one go rather than constantly bothering him to get stuff done, so want to gather as much info as possible before I go.

How about buying VCDS itself? Recommended for someone who is not bad but has no patience with computers?

Thanks

justin
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Feb 18, 2013]
    As a genuine seller of the vcds system, but mostly said as a user, you'll walk it tbh mate.

I have, by their own admission, had people buy vcds who have honestly said they're computer illiterate, not had one come back & have issues using the system at all.

Comes down to some simple rules, always scan the car on 1st use so you have all the original coding & make notes of what coding was before you changed, so you can revert back.

As for worthwhile, damn right it is, worth every penny & thousands more, use mine every day, it has saved me untold in time, money etc.
  4. J17_KNO

J17_KNO Member

[Feb 18, 2013]
    How much are you seeking the VCDS system for?

So is it as simple as making a note of the original code and if anything goes wrong just change it back to the original?
  5. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Feb 18, 2013]
    Yes in most cases its that simple, logic & common sense usually governs, dont change things you dont know what it will do.
  6. bomasspot

bomasspot Member

[Feb 19, 2013]
    As someone who has bought a cable off NHN recently and fitted and coded a BT module to my car(First time user)and it worked!!, it is just using common sense and scan before you use.
  7. leeds2592

leeds2592 When I grow up, I want a 964!

[Feb 19, 2013]
    +1.

Not long back I bought a VCDS cable from NHN and it has helped me out loads and saved me quite a bit of £££ as well.
  8. MrLapou

MrLapou Well-Known Member

[Feb 19, 2013]
    Surprised you think the 170 is no quicker than a 130 Golf...:unsure:

I've owned VCDS for around 9 years. IMHO it's a must have...