Phatnoise or iPod+Dension ???

Davidb67

Reaction score
Due to pick up my A3 2.0 DSG Sport on 1st after an eternity waiting (22 weeks-don't ask!).

been reading loads and following the threads on the Phatnoise kit, which I was planning to go for in several months' time once i'd saved up some more cash.
I have an iPaq which I occasionally listen to music on while away on business, on plane etc, and I just started to wonder this evening, "why not buy an iPod+Dension link instead??
I wasn't tempted to buy an iPod before, as I don't think I'd get my money's worth from it (using it solely for portable music, NOT INCLUDING the car), but then cost-wise, it's gonna be cheaper to go that route than the Phatnoise....

Just wondered what the general concensus was...

Quite different ways of doing the same thing really. The benefit of the Phatnoise is that it plugs into your changer bus and then can be installed somewhere discreet.

The IPod+dension solution gives you the headache of where to locate the ipod. I am also not sure what level of control this solution gives you, do you have to change tracks on the ipod for example? The benefit being you can take your Ipod anywhere and you literally have your CD collection on your pocket, your ipod can then be plugged into your home stereo etc.

I would have loved to get a Dension cable for my Ipod but the B*stards don't do a compatible cable for my Alpine head unit!!!

Cheers Leddy & AndyMac,

i think I'm realising it was a bit of a clunkier solution - unless I had an iPod in the first place....

What's the latest on UK-based deals on Phatnoise kit? done the usual trawls on eBay etc to no avail, I did seem to recall reading that a couple of UK dealers were starting to deal them, albeit at the same £GBP as $US !!!! cheeky gits!!

Who has bought from a US dealer and had one shipped? and what was the level of service??

Hi Guys

I'm still planning on going for the dension solution, although I do already own the iPod, so stumping up £140 for the kit is the best solution for me. The link does allow you to select tracks from the HU. When you select CD on the HU the iPod powers up. The HU then operates the iPod, allowing volume control and track selection. I have around 2,300 tracks stored on the iPod so far, (in the middle of raiding my mates cd collections!) and I like the idea of being able to take them everywhere I go, be it in the car, or in a couple of weeks, on a beach in Gran Canaria!

The link below is to the UK supplier of the ICE:Link, and gives a link to proclip, who provide various dash mounting plates that require no drilling of the dash.

ihavetohave.it

Proclip Audi applications

I'm not trying to start an argument around this, as I don't know much about Phatnoise. I just think that the Dension set up appears to be a good bit of kit and is worth investigating.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Andy

They seem to have thought of everything, I must admit I didn't know you could get that level of integration with an iPOD.

I've just ordered the ice link from dension for my ipod and should have it in a couple of weeks. I have bought it from www.ghc.co.uk . They also just supply cables that go from the head unit to the ipod that connect through the dock port on the bottom so you could run the cable to somewhere that is hidden from view and keep your ipod out of site. They also do the cable for alpine headunits but not sure which models.
Cheers,
h1.

Highlander1

I would be really interested to hear how you get on with this. Have you paid for fitting? or are you gonna have a go yourself? I have read reviews from other sites that say it is fairly straight forward as long as you have a basic knowledge of car audio. The reviews I have are for other cars, i.e Mini, but the basic procedures should be similar. If you would like any of these I can PM them to you. Finally, how much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking? Am gonna get one myself once the holiday is paid off!

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Andy

Hi Andy,
It cost around £130ish, I will have a go at fitting it myself as I know my way around audio pretty good (Audio Engineer). I will let you know what the fitting is like when I have done it, I am waiting for it to come into stock so I should have it in about another week. If you could PM me the fitting instructions for the mini that would be great.
Cheers,
Dean.