1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phatnoise - Any good ?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by fuzzynapper, Nov 23, 2004.

1. fuzzynapper

fuzzynapper Member

Hi,
    Was just wondering what those of you with Phatnoise thought of it.
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I am due to collect my shiny new 3.2 S-Line hopefully on 3rd Jan & may have it installed, although I have heard you can do the same thing cheaper with an i-pod. Is this true ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. JSportback

JSportback Member

The Phatnoise is great, infact I'm just adding a load of CD albums on it now!

The I Pod is nice and cheap but you have to have it sitting on your dash board, in my opinion the phatnoise is great because it sits in your boot and allows you to never get bored of what you're listening to!

4. fuzzynapper

fuzzynapper Member

Thanks for that Jamie,
    My local stealer has quoted £730 fitted. Is this about right ?

5. The911SC

The911SC Active Member

It is a good unit. My dealer has a demo car with it installed. Album/track and genre announcements are great!.

Heard it in a non bose TT but it is ok even in that..
    Its got to be the way to go...
    £730 sounds a lot. Its not hard to install; exactly the same as an autochanger...

6. JSportback

JSportback Member

I think I paid about £649 fitted mate, be careful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. is there any way of getting the stuff from your ipod to the phatnoise quickly? I drive at the moment with an ipod with the itrip on but it is a major pain to change etc.

Im not sure i could be bothered to go through putting on all the tracks from my cd's again!

I am torn between phatnoise and a in dash screen to replace my concert radio, any ideas?

8. JSportback

JSportback Member

I think that if you have the files on the pc, or drag them off the ipod onto it, you will then be able to put them on the ipod quite easily, but you'll probably have to sort the out into albums etc once youve done that...

9. I have just been quoted £500 to have Phatnoise installed buy the dealer.

10. monty77

monty77 Member

I'm looking into one of these, in my current car I'm running an Alpine HU with the ipod interface which I like a lot. How does the phatnoise compare? Does it show any track information on the HU screen or in the DIS display? When you say 'announcements' what do you mean? Anyone know of a video that demos it?

Thanks!
    Adam

11. fuzzynapper

fuzzynapper Member

If you don't mind me asking Fobber how much were you quoted by your stealer.
    Thanks,
    Fuzzy

12. funkycat

funkycat Member

NeilSafc2

Intersted to know more about the Ipod and iTrip.

Do you have a separate cigarette lighter power cord for the iPod, or just rely on its 12hr battery life/recharge in docking station?

Whats the sound quality/reception like? I've Bose in my A4, would an iPod do it justice?

Have you tried one of these Pod Gear Cardocks?, would it get in the way of the handbrake/gear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif stick when in 6th gear, given where the cigarette lighter is?

Thanks

13. jgrand

jgrand Member

I'm selling my Phatmoise if you're interested, see the Trading Post for more info.

14. I was quoted £500 including fitting from the stealer, but got 7% off. So the one on trading post looks good.

15. [ QUOTE ]
    funkycat said:
    Cheers for that Neil.

Been doin' some surfin' since last post, found this product via the Dabs site, have you come across it, is an "icelink" from Dension. Seems to been fitted to the car kind of like a mobile phone, soulds good, £129 from dabs. Try link below for further info, interested in your thoughts.

http://www.dension.com/main.php?pageid=50&topid=42

[/ QUOTE ]

Must admit to not seeing anything like that but it does look a very good idea and ideal if you have a multichanger. I have a single slot cd player to it rules me out but does look a good idea.

16. jungle

jungle Member

[ QUOTE ]
    neilsafc2 said:
    iTrip is the best thing I got for my iPod. Before I had it I didnt really make full use of it but now its just never out of my car.

It couldnt be simpler to use, just tune in once to a station that hasnt already got a frequency or one either side for best frequency and its done.

Any more questions ask away. I had loads before I bought a iTrip but glad I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Neil I really like the sound of this. Some questions; if you go on a long (ie 200 miles+) drive do you find you need to change frequency all the time? And do you know where the aerial is on the A3 (sportback) - I have heard if you position the ipod close enough to the aerial you dont have to change stations at all as the ipod will be the strongest signal?

17. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

yummy. Click the drool for more info. drool

18. Markk

Markk New Member

Due to have my phatbox fitted on Thursday. Paid £178 + £40 delivery from the US. Plus I'll no doubt be hit by customs.

Where do people usually fit them in the new A3? Was planning on sticking it in the boot.