Phatbox just fitted

MattS5

Reaction score
How chuffed am I !!?? Ordered it via e-bay from Penslyvania on Thursday last week and it turned up this morning !
Its a proper Audi model and the cost was just $159 and $70 shipping, a total of $229 or the best bit.......under £130 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Took 30 mins to fit in my S3 but its does mean I cannot fit the boot cover back on as the memory device sticks out a little too far /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Gonna take another look to see about trimming it at the weekend or move it out of the CD chager holder to somewhere else.

Well chuffed though, it took me longer to download my tunes than it did to fit and work how to use it !

Didn't you get stung for import duty etc?
Whenever I've got bits from the USA have always been unlucky enough to have to pay the ransom.....
With the price on Ebay UK around the £190-£200 mark delivered that is a good deal, enough so to make me consider getting one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nope, no import duty was paid.

Could be that becasue the unit is just $159, its not expensive enough to attract it ? (£89)

Its a wicked peice of kit, so easy to use.

Haven't got one...yet. been doing a bit of research. I've heard that if you drill a couple of extra holes in the brackets, it will sit further back and the cover can be closed. Have you got more space behind it?

Nope, it just wont go back any further than what it already is.
However, I got round this tonight by popping and seeing my dad, (whose well handy) and 'I've removed the Phatbox case, turned it round sideways + upside down in the changer bracket, spot welded 3cm onto the brackets of the changer holder, and now it fits a treat.
Its well clear of the bose sub and i can get the cartridge in and out easy peasy and its all sat behind the boot cover out of the way.
Took an hour and half /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Is it possible for you to show a pic of what you've done? I'm gonna get one, but definitely don't want it to be sticking out.

Here is from the side
IMG_1671%20Resized.jpg

Then closer of the brackets

IMG_1672%20Resized.jpg

Looking towards the front

IMG_1673%20Resized.jpg

This is the original case, which I'm looking to trim down where the arrows are, it then should all fit in the holder. If it doesn't no worries, its all ok as it is to be honest

IMG_1674%20Resized.jpg

IMG_1675%20Resized.jpg

Job done, panel on.

IMG_1670%20Resized.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Nope, no import duty was paid.

Could be that becasue the unit is just $159, its not expensive enough to attract it ? (£89)

Its a wicked peice of kit, so easy to use.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as the Import duties go it varies on what you buy the tariffs are listed on the customs an exercise website.

On an MP3 player/Recorder with no radio it is 2% + VAT @ 17.5% I got stung £30 vat & brokerage fees on a $165 Phatnoise.

I guess it’s the luck of the draw, still worth it though.

Just got the case back from being trimmed and have now refitted it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Well chuffed with it. Few more pics here

Phatbox%20install001_edited-1.jpg

Phatbox%20install002_edited-1.jpg

Phatbox%20install003_edited-1.jpg

Phatbox%20install004_edited-1.jpg

Phatbox%20install005_edited-1.jpg

Phatbox%20install006_edited-1.jpg

Phatbox%20install007_edited-1.jpg

Phatbox%20install008_edited-1.jpg

very neat

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Can you remember the ebay username, who you bought it off?

Was the seller selling only one unit or several?

Cheers,

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

He is a VW dealer (I checked it out fully prior to ordering)
He has many and the service was excellent. From payment to delivery was something like 3 days.
Postage was $70 from memory. Your best bet is to e-mail him, he is well helpful.
Link to a great deal here !

You will just need to buy a power supply from Maplins if you get one though as the one it comes with has a 2 pin plug and is moulded onto the transformer.
I bought this one right here and set it to 9v

editied to add - Must thank Timps for a lot of this information, he was very helpful with answering questions I had prior to purchase /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

That is really tidy. Well impressed. It looks like you could fit it sideways without the bracket mods, but you'd be unable to get the cartridge in. Would that be right?

[ QUOTE ]
That is really tidy. Well impressed. It looks like you could fit it sideways without the bracket mods, but you'd be unable to get the cartridge in. Would that be right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct. its just a little too tight, however, if you removed the bracket completley, you could get away with fiiting it on top of the sub with extra strength self adhesive velcro (available from john Lewis!)
I've attched mine with Velcro and its fixed like like poo to a blanket !
Easy to seperate with a flat blade though if I have to remove it

Could I just ask if the unit came with the cable for the boot mounted changer.

Thanks

I already had the boot mounted changer, so the lead was there. The phatbox came with a lead that just plugged into the cable.
(its a round plug on the end of the phatnoise cable with about 13 pins in it)

[ QUOTE ]
You will just need to buy a power supply from Maplins if you get one though as the one it comes with has a 2 pin plug and is moulded onto the transformer.
I bought this one right here and set it to 9v

editied to add - Must thank Timps for a lot of this information, he was very helpful with answering questions I had prior to purchase /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt, just one quick question if I can, I have got the Phatnoise and the power adapter you suggest but on the original unit it states 12VDC not 9V. Any reason for the change?
Many thanks
Matt

If it wont run on 9v then up it to 12v.

Starting off low and working way up will not damage the unit in any way.

However, trying something bizarre like 18v and working down, COULD/WILL damage the unit.

Just replied to your Pm Matt, but in case anyone else wants to know too..........
I started at 12v and the base unit hummed quite loudly (and didnt light up) I turned it back to 9v and everything was fine and dandy, so i left it at 9v

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif