1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phatbox install...Turkish Style :)

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by dultanur, Dec 8, 2006.

1. dultanur

dultanur all promises, no action :)

[Dec 8, 2006]
    hi guys!

got my 20gb phatbox a couple of days ago, and fitted it yesterday. first off, i think it's great!

as many of you know, you can't install the phatbox where teh cd changer is because the DMS cartridge won't let the compartment hatch close. so i decided to remove the metal casing and have something smaller fabricated out of metal. i didn't want to cut the original metal casing, i think it looks cool the way it is :)

while we were thinking, a buddy came up with a superb idea :idea:. and here are the results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yes, we really did cover it with cardboard :lmfao:
    actually the box from a texon xenon conversion. well it does the job of protecting the unit from dust, and it's free and it took only 5 minutes. we later removed the cd changer and the bracket, and stuck the unit on the subwoofer using foam and silicone. heres the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so everything works fine. doesnt look too good ofcourse :yes:

one thing to remind everybody: don't forget to get all your CDs out of the changer before rmoving it, as you can't afterwards.

and a question: do you guys think the vibrations from the subwoofer and my cars stupendously hard suspension will destroy my harddrive? altgough the unit sits on foam?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. trogen

trogen Member

[Dec 8, 2006]
    hard drives are very fragile anyway, let alone having it next to a huge sub with a magnet on the back the same size as the one in the hatch on lost, and we all know how the hatch ended up! :jump:
  4. dultanur

[Dec 9, 2006]
    hehe yeah i know, but everyone has insatlled it somewhere in there...couldn't find a better place. any suggestions? maybe reinstall the cd changer bracket and sticking it on there with the foam?

i can't really install it in the boot because i put lots of stuff in it everday and will eventually destroy it (while trying to powerslide in turns :) )
  5. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Active Member

[Dec 10, 2006]
    My Phatnoise fits above the subwoofer with the DMS cartridge facing the taillight, only problem is that the subwoofer does interfear with the quality of the music.
  6. dultanur

[Dec 10, 2006]
    so you have a similar setup with me. how long have you had this config? did you mount the phatbox right on the sub like i did? any hdd problems? and do you mean the sub makes electrical interference? my sound quality is pretty good, no alternator whine or anything. i haven't noticed any interference from the sub either... maybe i should listen more closely :)

some of my mp3s have very low quality encoding anyway, as long as the hdd is ok, no problem!
  7. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Active Member

[Dec 10, 2006]
    Yeah i noticed at the beginning of tracks it cut out every few seconds then it would be fine. I think it was the vibration which didnt help & vibration isnt good for a HDD from what i understand maybe a layer of foam would help. I didnt actually fix my phatnoise in place it was sort of wedge in by the side panel. I might atemped to fit it properly over christmas.
  8. nick1973

nick1973 Member

[Dec 10, 2006]
    be carefull the casing will have acted as a heat sink so you may want to wantch the temp of the thing before it goes pop
  9. dultanur

[Dec 10, 2006]
    thanks nick, i also thought of that... i know from loading songs in the cradle that the dms doesn't get hot at all... now i have to check the unit itself after i listen to it for a while.
    after some thought, i may try to find a better place for it, maybe with less vibration. but i can't really think of a better place...

access isn't much of a problem as the dms is almost full already, so i won't be taking it out too often.come on people lets have some ideas!
  10. dultanur

[Dec 11, 2006]
    update: i've checked the phatbox, it doesn't even get warm. tomorrow i'll try to find a better place to mount it.