Phatbox Hacked - I now have 80Gb MP3 in car

Scotty

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
It works!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I put a 20Gb Fujitus drive it which was a direct swap for the 20Gb Fujitsu that I found in there when I opened it!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

£71 to expand the system. Definately worth it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Doh! Indeed 80Gb now working....well half of it is as it's only 50% full!

nice one scoTTy - all of a sudden a phatbox becomes more appealling..

[ QUOTE ]
It works!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I put a 20Gb Fujitus drive it which was a direct swap for the 20Gb Fujitsu that I found in there when I opened it!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

£71 to expand the system. Definately worth it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Scotty,

can you give us details of the drive you purchased? I'd like to up mine as well.

cheers

I bought a Fujitsu 80GB (MHT2080AH) from www.lowestonweb.com for £60.59 ex VAT (£71.19)and I was really please to find that when I opened up my DMS, there was a virtually indentical Fujitsu disk in it. This meant the swap was as easy as could be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

so there was no need to install anything on to the new drive to get it to be recognised etc?

I remember reading there was a firmware upgrade or something you had to perform?

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]
so there was no need to install anything on to the new drive to get it to be recognised etc?

I remember reading there was a firmware upgrade or something you had to perform?

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

There's definately some stuff to do. You need to logon to www.phathack.com, read the instructions, download the bootable image, burn it to cd, boot your pc of the cd and follow the instructions.

It took me less than 1.5 hours all in.

the rns-e does work with the phatbox - well sort of.

to get the controls to work at all, you have to set the radio type as T i think , but i could only set it by plugging in the phatbox to another audi with an rns-d first and changing the radio type on that.

after plugging it back in the rns-e most of the functions work reasonably well

Fantastic 100GB it is then. Disk and Phatbox ordered.

cheers ScoTTy

RNS-E works fine with Phatbox - but you need to have at least firmware version 7.00 in your PB but I recommend 7.02 to fix a few bugs and you need to set the PB to radio type T. Then it works like an angel.

Its not that simple though. There is no specific lead available that I am aware of and it requires you cutting the plug off the cd glovebox changer (if fitted) and soldering the old style din lead onto it.
Also, be careful, all the phatboxes on ebay are the A version not the C version as far as I know.

I also have the 20Gb PhatNoise working with SatNav with no problems.

But like most I have run out of space, I opened up the DMS and found a Tosh drive inside. I got another Tosh drive with same voltage and amps (just so I don't blow the PhatNoise). I installed the new drive and the DMS Doctor thinks all is OK. So far so good.

I used the bootable CD that repartitions the drive with the right name ect...

The problem I've got is the PhatNoise will not load the DMS. I put the old 20Gb drive back in the DNS, and this works fine.

I also tried doing a sector by sector copy of the sys partition and using the CD to recreate the data partition and this still did not work.

Well done scoTTy, but I think like most we would be interested in how you did this.

Has anyone else done this and was the original drive a Tosh...

Oh... I am running 7.02 and 3.76 Manager...?

I like most people had it not load and had to do the sector copy. That worked for me. They best place to ask questions on this is the phathack forum. They're very helpful.

what program did you use to do the sector copy...?

Yes I managed it with a Toshiba drive the sector copy program is already on the boot CD.

The instructions to do this were posted by Genesis on the phathac forum

Follow these instructions:- By Genesis

IF the box is patched...

Boot the patch disk.

Insert your ORIGINAL (legitimate) DMS.

ALT+F4, hit ENTER. Get "#" prompt.

dd if=/dev/sda of=/tmp/image bs=512 count=2048

(substitute "sdb" if your DMS identified on sdb when inserted, etc)

WARNING: Mis-typing this command can HOSE your DMS!

Wait until you get a "#" back.

Remove old (valid) DMS. Wait 30 seconds to insure that it completely detaches the old USB volume.

Insert new (non-valid) DMS (the new disk) Wait 30 seconds until you see the attachment of the new (hack) DMS.

BE VERY SURE NOT TO INSERT THE WRONG DISK! YOU WILL OVERWRITE A VALID SIGNATURE AND RENDER THE DISK NON-ORIGINAL IF YOU DO!

dd if=/tmp/image of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=2048

(again, make sure "sda" is the correct device - whatever your new DMS identified as when you inserted it)

Wait until the green light goes out and the "#" prompt returns.

Remove the DMS.

Powercycle the machine.

Re-insert the (new, hack) DMS and wait for it to identify.

ALT+F3.

Repartition/reformat the DMS (fast, no block check)

Allow the operation to complete (will take a couple of minutes.)

Remove the DMS.

Remove the hack CD.

Reboot to Windows.

Insert the DMS. PMM starts and does some initialization stuff. Go to OPTIONS, DMS options, and load the firmware onto the new (hacked) DMS. Make sure the correct firmware for your head unit is selected before you load it!

Go into your PHTSYS directory and remove the "forceupdate" file (not strictly necessary, but there is no reason to force a box update.)

Use PMM to put your music on the new (hacked) DMS.

Do the usual save/eject function.

Enjoy.

thanks but didn't work...? are other people having trouble doing this...?

How many times have you actually run the hack itself on the phatbox the hack has many stages and can stall at any one of them if you have a problem box you have to run the hack again & it moves on to the next stage I had to run it twice to get the voice message at the end some people had to do it more.
Just a thought