1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petrol consumption not as good within the first 2000 miles?

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by brad9753, Sep 16, 2013.

1. brad9753

brad9753 Member

[Sep 16, 2013]
    When I picked up the car, I was told by the dealer to expect to refuel the car a little more often before the car is properly " run in ". Before this time the car will use more fuel and will not be as economical as it should. I thought this made sense. The dealer said it won't be a massive difference, if at all noticeable.
    However I am shocked that the car has only done 50 miles more in this typical (journey wise) month then my old 03 1.4 corsa did in a month. The trips have been similar. My audi is also a 1.4 but also has a larger Tank so that alone should increase the amount- the fact that there is more fuel.
    I really hope that I do infact see a big difference after it is run in and is much more economical. One of the reasons I went for the a3.
    Has anybody noticed any changes or know anything regarding this subject?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 15, 2014]

3. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

[Sep 16, 2013]
    Yes it takes a few thousand miles for the engine / seals to bed in fully. My 1.4 started at 38mpg from new, and 6 months / 6000 miles later i'm up to 42mpg overall average. So not a massive change, but a definite improvement from the initial economy.

Make sure you keep an eye on the oil for the first few thousand miles as some new car will drink a bit as they bed in.
  4. brad9753

brad9753 Member

[Sep 16, 2013]
    I have pretty much been on Eco mode. Auto sometimes. My routes don't require a lot of speed.
  5. moonlight

moonlight Member

[Sep 20, 2013]
    Mine started life at 36mpg and 4 months and 2K+ miles later it has rocketed to the dizzy heights of 37mpg...this time next year I reckon I'll be achieving ...(looking at the sky with one eye shut)....37.2..give or take