1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petrol cap won't open!?!

daver555 Dec 5, 2012

1. daver555

daver555 Member

Tried to fill up this morning and it wouldn't open. It opened a bit on the popper just enought for me to notice that the little metal locking pin had not retracted. I tried locking and unlocking the car but to no avail. Luckily I still had 100 miles to go so just carried on to work. I checked it again in the car park and it opened albeit with the pin sticking out a bit. I locked the car and tried the cap and it opened so it appears my lock is faulty. I did a search just now and it might be the case that there is a manual override located in the boot. Is this correct? Hope so as I will need to fill up tonight! Cheers, Dave.

2. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

Dave, perhaps the solenoid that withdraws the locking pin needs a dose of WD40. Anyway, worth a try. In the boot, opposite the fuel cap you should find a little trap-door. Open this, and you should see a small cable. Pulling on this will retract the fuel cap pin. After you fill up, squirt a little oil into the lock. You can leave the cap open and cycle the central locking, and watch the pin move. Good luck.

3. daver555

daver555 Member

Cheers Geraldy212

4. mike foster

mike foster Fossie VCDS Map User

Chances are it was frozen because all my doors were frozen this morning !