1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petrol cap won't open!?!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by daver555, Dec 5, 2012.

1. daver555

daver555 Member

[Dec 5, 2012]
    Tried to fill up this morning and it wouldn't open. It opened a bit on the popper just enought for me to notice that the little metal locking pin had not retracted. I tried locking and unlocking the car but to no avail. Luckily I still had 100 miles to go so just carried on to work. I checked it again in the car park and it opened albeit with the pin sticking out a bit. I locked the car and tried the cap and it opened so it appears my lock is faulty. I did a search just now and it might be the case that there is a manual override located in the boot. Is this correct? Hope so as I will need to fill up tonight! Cheers, Dave.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 27, 2014]

3. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

[Dec 5, 2012]
    Dave, perhaps the solenoid that withdraws the locking pin needs a dose of WD40. Anyway, worth a try. In the boot, opposite the fuel cap you should find a little trap-door. Open this, and you should see a small cable. Pulling on this will retract the fuel cap pin. After you fill up, squirt a little oil into the lock. You can leave the cap open and cycle the central locking, and watch the pin move. Good luck.
  4. daver555

daver555 Member

[Dec 5, 2012]
    Cheers Geraldy212
  5. mike foster

mike foster Fossie VCDS Map User

[Dec 5, 2012]
    Chances are it was frozen because all my doors were frozen this morning !