Petrol Cap Not Flush - It Sticks Out

emzino

Reaction score
Hi. I've noticed that with my petrol cap, it seems to always stick out just a little bit. I try to ignore but when I see other A3's and there petrol caps absolutely flush with the rear, it bothers me quite alot!

I've already tried tightening the screw but to no avail. What is the problem & cure to this?

Thanks

It has to be adjustable. Is it proud all the way around or just the hinge or catch side?

I know it doesn't help but mine fits perfectly flush until you press it to release the catch and then there is just enough to get your fingers under to open it.

Sounds to me like it could be the spring loaded catch that is the problem. Can't be that difficult to change. Looks like two screws to me?

(Sorry for the late reply)

I'm not too sure what you mean by proud all the way around but I had a look again last night and could only see one screw. When I try and tighten it, it just turns around, it doesn't really tighten...

I'm gonna take a picture or two and put them up once:

a) It stops raining
b) Theres some light

Bare with me =)

I know i've taken my time but got around to the car today, been busy at uni. Gave it a hoovering inside and just saw that ****** cap again =/

Heres the pics:

This is at it's "normal" state (the one where I think somethings not right)
5137a813.jpg

This is where i've pushed it in so it can stick out
c9961bb0.jpg

And then this is when I push it back in once it's already out
b540a33d.jpg

As you can see from the last picture, it's fine so it seems like it gradually comes out. Dunno why though =/

Here is the problem from another angle
102a7e6f.jpg

What me and my cousin can't get around is, why isn't there some kind of lock on the petrol cap. Isn't it dangerous that it can be freely opened and closed like that? That's another topic but as above, that's the problem. Hope it helps!

The petrol flap does lock,when the car locks.
I would suggest the fact yours isn't closing flush means it doesn't.
It shouldn't freely open in it's unlocked state either.
It's push to open,push to close.
Yours is just ****** !
Petrol flap failure isn't uncommon on A3's.
I've had it,as haveothers on here.
Mine used to jam shut,meaning I had to lever a key between the bodywork and the flap every time I wanted to fill up.
New fuel flap,end of problem (apart from completely wrong tyre pressure sticker inside it now...)

Ahhh so it's meant to lock. I felt like a complete tool when my cousin came over from germany in his Saab and I had no answer for why it's like that...

Hmmm well I hope it ain't gonna cost me alot to put right =/ but think that's been made number 1 priority now. I wonder how much it'll be.

Thanks though Bowfer

Maybe try a breaker ?
I had a right pain getting mine replaced.
Apparently (allegedly..) they come from the factory 'blank',so I had to wait for the bodyshop to spray it the right colour.

I see a good amount of money going into this... One other thing is though, I recently cleaned it up because there was all black muck around the petrol hole.
I check it again and it's back with more diesel liquid there. There some kind of leak? Very worrying...

The only time I get diesel around the cap area is if I overfill it myself.
Could be the cap itself isn't sealing properly ?

Na there seems to be Diesel in there no matter how many times I clean it and i'm normally very careful.

Well i'm gonna speak to my local garage and see what they can do. Hopefully it won't cost me a bomb! I'll keep you updated with the findings.

Thanks Bowfer.