1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petrol and motorway miles

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by S3 NIK, May 24, 2007.

1. S3 NIK

S3 NIK Member

Mar 5, 2007
    On a long motor way run, no exciting driving, is it worth getting more petrol for your bucks by putting normal unleaded in the tank.
    Just a thought as i am covering a few miles this weekend and figured super unleaded may be a waste of cash.
  2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. rodenal

rodenal Active Member

Oct 22, 2006
    You'll prob get slightly less mpg in an s3 with lower octane fuel, so might offset the cheaper cost of the petrol itself mate
  4. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

Dec 8, 2006
    ive always found in mine that the lower MPG offsets the lower cost of the fuel.....

ive run my 1.8T on 99 RON almost entirely, until i almost ran out comming home from worcester yesterday, and didnt fancy paying £1.07 a litre for BP ultimate, so paid 99.9p for normal 95 ron fuel.

on the way up, running on V-power, i averaged 39.8mpg, cruising at around 80-85.

on the way home, averaging similar speeds, i only managed 34mpg.

im not saying its entirely the fuel, but the car felt flat, and unresponsive. the initial torque was still there, but higher up in the rev range i really felt the timming pull back.

not nice.

dont bother trying it, just stick with V-power!