Pet insurance

missviper

Reaction score
I've recently got a Shar pei puppy and looking to insure him. The breeder and vets suggest pet plan. I have had a qoute and they want £125 a month. Ouch comes to mind. That is for their best lifetime policy covering 12,000 a year vets bills. Other companies are qouting around £90 mark. I know i have an expensive breed. But thats more than my car and house insurance put together. Has anyone else had experiance with pet insurance??

Last edited:
We're with Pet Plan for our 2 kittens / cats. They were the most expensive of all the insurers working out about £27 a month.

Originally we were with Animal Friends, but our vets don't deal with them directly. We had issues with one of the kittens and ended up footing the £800 bill until the insurance pays out (Still waiting). We've switched one over to Pet Plan now so in the event anything does happen the vet deals with them directly and we only need to pay our exceed so its better piece of mind. (Waiting for the claim to be settled to switch the second)

Saying all that £125 a month is a hard pill to swallow, but like you say having a pedigree puppy will be more expensive.

Edit: http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/chinesesharpei.html "
  • A high price tag
  • Serious (often chronic) health problems and expensive vet bills
  • Legal liabilities (public perception, future breed bans, insurance problems, increased chance of lawsuits)"

That won't help with the insurance cost either.

I use pet plan as lots of people recommended it to me, they cover for life should your dog require constant medication later in life, only, if you start a policy while the dog is young, i.e. They won't offer this on a 3 year old dog for example or if you leave and rejoin.
That is important to remember.
My friend claims medication that costs over £50 every single month on a policy that costs half that, so for his situation it's win win financially.
I own a springer spaniel and took out this life cover as a pup and started off paying just over £20 p/m and now it's touching £25 p/m and I have never claimed at all, it's just peace of mind really to have it in place.
The price you are quoted does sound high, but given the health problems particularly with skin infections etc on this breed this is reflected on price sadly.
You could always put money aside and save it just in case, but personally for me I like the feeling knowing I am covered on just about everything.
I am not associated at all with any insurance by the way, I just wanted the best policy possible for my pooch, after a horrendous couple of years back and forth to the vets with my last springer, I wanted a good policy, and I can guarantee that every vet you speak to, rates petplan extremely high and recommends them.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Reactions: Sandra
Our cats are with Animal Friends. Dog is with More Than. Our last dog was with Pet Plan from birth. We needed it a lot as she had diabetes and then brain issues associated. We paid the excess £80 twice a year and everything else paid by Pet a Plan. Think we were £32 a month. But we used approx 12k over the course of 4 years between vet care/stays, operation and medication. My dogs a cross breed this time so not expensive.

I tried getting a qoute from animal friends and they don't cover Shar peis. I think i need to just fork out the 125 a month. Just concerned it will ho up next year. Sainsbury gave a okay qoute. But the reviews are shocking. Stating they increase the price by loads each year. It's a lot of money, but peace of mind means a lot. Knowing that if he's poorly,then he will have all the treatment needed covered.

Reactions: CHEZ
. It's a lot of money, but peace of mind means a lot. Knowing that if he's poorly,then he will have all the treatment needed covered.

That really is the important bit, my poor last dog got Ill and it really was very stressful, emotionally and financially without cover.

Hi, have you tried us for pet insurance yet? If not, please feel free to drop me a line.

Kind Regards
Dan