1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Personal Plates - Help

smee Dec 24, 2006

1. smee

smee Member

I want to get my other half a personal plate. Anybody able to reccommend a good place to find one? I have googled it but loads of options available and not too clear about the costs involved.

2. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed! VCDS Map User

3. smee

smee Member

Thanks

4. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

reg transfers is good

5. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator DSG

DVLA is the cheapest but you will have to transfer the new one,which is just a matter of filling a form in and sending it to your local office

6. RobinA3

RobinA3 Well-Known Member

use dvla-som, the other places act as a 3rd party so they will charge more!

7. filipharvey

filipharvey Amusing Tagline

Well I got mine from here and it was cheaper than it would have been from DVLA!

8. leecs3

leecs3 thinking about stuff

use dvla. Once you get your documents tho' (they say 3 weeks but got mine in 2days) you go straight to the local DVLA office and can get the transfer complete on the same day. Brilliant service. Did by corrado's plate with RT and took 2months to complete.

9. joost

joost Active Member

I'd recommend DVLA too, got my papers in about 4 days, went to the local office and got a new tax disc and re-printed MOT with the new number on there and then.

I was quoted various prices from £400-600 from different places for the same plate but paid £250 from the DVLA.

10. TRS1

TRS1 Topper Harley

Click the link below my sig pic. Any queries, give us a call.:icon_thumright:

11. Onlyme

Onlyme Member

A lot of people dont know this ( i foo king didnt when i bought mine ) the dvla usually has every plate going, unless of course a company that sells plates has actually bought the plate itself for example a plate like 1 LFC would be worth a fortune, so these companies buy it as soon as it appears, anything normal like A3 HOT isnt worth a lot to the number plate companies so they dont buy it, so for example you could find A3 HOT on one of these web sites and think that you have got to buy it, but the plate is still available from the DVLA so if you searched the same plate on the DVLA you would probably find the plate but cheaper by i think when i got my plate £30 to £50.

Im not knocking these other companys but my advice would always be check the DVLA out first ( i found this out by a article by Clarkson or Wilson in a newspaper )

12. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

:ohmy: you ok bainsy???

13. Onlyme

Onlyme Member

Yeah i got ripped off when i bought my plate so seeming as its christmas i thought i would be helpful for a change, but seeming as its you Silver i'll revert back to my normal self f--k off out up the pub mate its christmas eve, i have got to go to work in minute so have a good christmas and type soon

14. a4_23

a4_23 sleeper hatch

yeh got mine from dvla too £250:)

15. Jaywoo_A3

Jaywoo_A3 Member Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

DVLA deffinatly, other places on the net look cheaper but then you have to include VAT and tranfer fee (£80) on top, its all inclusive with the DVLA ones.

16. marmite

marmite Counting the Tesco Club points

DVLA is the cheapest by far if a third party companies charge you the DVLA price plus VAT

I have bought all my plates from DVLA, paper work comes through in a few days normaly

17. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

If you are just looking for something 'unusual' rather than a specific set of initials, keep an eye on eBay. A lot of traders on there, but the occasional private sale and there are bargains to be had. The plate on my S3 I got for less than £700 all in and was subsequently valued by RegTransfers at £2000; and the plate on my Ibiza I got for £450 rather than £800 for a comparable plate from the big dealer sites. Both of these are just letters and numbers plates (no year prefix/suffix).

18. M44 DUB

M44 DUB Member

I have opne for sale not sure if it's any good for your other half.

T11 CLW looking for £180 and it's on retention at the mo

19. M44 DUB

M44 DUB Member

I have opne for sale not sure if it's any good for your other half.

T11 CLW looking for £180 and it's on retention at the mo