Personal Plates - Help

smee

Reaction score
I want to get my other half a personal plate. Anybody able to reccommend a good place to find one? I have googled it but loads of options available and not too clear about the costs involved.

DVLA is the cheapest but you will have to transfer the new one,which is just a matter of filling a form in and sending it to your local office

use dvla-som, the other places act as a 3rd party so they will charge more!

use dvla. Once you get your documents tho' (they say 3 weeks but got mine in 2days) you go straight to the local DVLA office and can get the transfer complete on the same day. Brilliant service. Did by corrado's plate with RT and took 2months to complete.

I'd recommend DVLA too, got my papers in about 4 days, went to the local office and got a new tax disc and re-printed MOT with the new number on there and then.

I was quoted various prices from £400-600 from different places for the same plate but paid £250 from the DVLA.

Click the link below my sig pic. Any queries, give us a call.:icon_thumright:

A lot of people dont know this ( i foo king didnt when i bought mine ) the dvla usually has every plate going, unless of course a company that sells plates has actually bought the plate itself for example a plate like 1 LFC would be worth a fortune, so these companies buy it as soon as it appears, anything normal like A3 HOT isnt worth a lot to the number plate companies so they dont buy it, so for example you could find A3 HOT on one of these web sites and think that you have got to buy it, but the plate is still available from the DVLA so if you searched the same plate on the DVLA you would probably find the plate but cheaper by i think when i got my plate £30 to £50.

Im not knocking these other companys but my advice would always be check the DVLA out first ( i found this out by a article by Clarkson or Wilson in a newspaper )

Onlyme said:
A lot of people dont know this ( i foo king didnt when i bought mine ) the dvla usually has every plate going, unless of course a company that sells plates has actually bought the plate itself for example a plate like 1 LFC would be worth a fortune, so these companies buy it as soon as it appears, anything normal like A3 HOT isnt worth a lot to the number plate companies so they dont buy it, so for example you could find A3 HOT on one of these web sites and think that you have got to buy it, but the plate is still available from the DVLA so if you searched the same plate on the DVLA you would probably find the plate but cheaper by i think when i got my plate £30 to £50.

Im not knocking these other companys but my advice would always be check the DVLA out first ( i found this out by a article by Clarkson or Wilson in a newspaper )

:ohmy: you ok bainsy???

Yeah i got ripped off when i bought my plate so seeming as its christmas i thought i would be helpful for a change, but seeming as its you Silver i'll revert back to my normal self f--k off out up the pub mate its christmas eve, i have got to go to work in minute so have a good christmas and type soon

yeh got mine from dvla too £250:)

DVLA deffinatly, other places on the net look cheaper but then you have to include VAT and tranfer fee (£80) on top, its all inclusive with the DVLA ones.

DVLA is the cheapest by far if a third party companies charge you the DVLA price plus VAT

I have bought all my plates from DVLA, paper work comes through in a few days normaly

If you are just looking for something 'unusual' rather than a specific set of initials, keep an eye on eBay. A lot of traders on there, but the occasional private sale and there are bargains to be had. The plate on my S3 I got for less than £700 all in and was subsequently valued by RegTransfers at £2000; and the plate on my Ibiza I got for £450 rather than £800 for a comparable plate from the big dealer sites. Both of these are just letters and numbers plates (no year prefix/suffix).

I have opne for sale not sure if it's any good for your other half.

T11 CLW looking for £180 and it's on retention at the mo