1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Permanent Live

phil1978 Mar 9, 2006

1. phil1978

phil1978 Member

Where would be the best place to pick up a permanent live for the wiring of a relay for towing electrics???

I have taken of the shroud underneath the steering column and can see a bar with three bolts on. It looks like this would be an option, but would appreciate some guidance for the best place.

Thanks

2. scoTTy

scoTTy Active Member

Use your circuit tester. If you're not confident with this then get someone else to do it.

Having said that I thought there was a ready to use point/relay for towing,

3. simon_golf_tt

simon_golf_tt Member

phil I hadn't checked the forum lately but I did answer your pm (as I got an email). Yes use the bar under the steering column with the three bolts on and the thick red wires going to it. This is the permanent 12V feed from the battery. This is what I used for my towbar electrics 12V feed to the relay box. Make sure you put an inline fuse at the 'bar' end of the cable.

4. phil1978

phil1978 Member

Thanks for all your help everyone. Yep, I've got an inline fuse holder, I'll be using a 15 amp blade style. May even look if I can get it wired into the existing fusebox.

thanks.