1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Performance mods advice needed

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by JeffY, Oct 8, 2009.

1. JeffY

JeffY Member

[Oct 8, 2009]
    Hi,

I'm looking for advice on performance mods for my bought from new very low mileage 3 year old A3 2.0T quattro sportback. I'm looking to bring it up to around stock S3 performance but with much improved handling and brakes. Ideally I want the eingine to sound sweeter/quieter if possible and I want the car to be optimized for Alps/mountain driving rather than track. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 21, 2014]

3. S.

S. Well-Known Member

[Oct 8, 2009]
    resonated turboback exhaust, panel filter or even better cold air intake, and remap. you should be around stock s3 figures.
  4. JeffY

JeffY Member

[Oct 8, 2009]
    Thanks,

Would a AMD 2.0 FSI TURBO STAGE 3 (Milltek sport turbo back + remap) be a good choice? Is it quieter/same/noisier than the stock exhaust? I'd like all the mods to be as stealthy as possible. i.e. my wife won't notice. :)

Any advice on suspension/ brakes upgrade (for mountain driving)?
  5. S.

S. Well-Known Member

[Oct 9, 2009]
    go for a resonated milltek turbo back and she won't notice, as it sound as oem, only at the higher revs it's a bit louder :icon_thumright: you should consider panel filter at least it's not noisy as cold air intake but it gives a little extra air. think that amd stage 3 should do the job.
    as for brakes and suspension you should see how it handles with the extra power imo.
  6. Boydie

Boydie Boycie VCDS Map User

[Oct 9, 2009]
    Don't think you will need a brake upgrade unless you plan to track the car.

How much do you want to spend?

A simple remap will transform the car to around 240-50bhp

Then its a question of how far you want to go....

Miltek non-resonated - personally, I'd go for that, quiet when you want it to be and sounds amazing when you want it to!

Milltek down pipe

Cold Air Intake (CAI) or panel filter - just depends what you want from the car

Stage 2 map (if you buy both CAI and downpipe)

with stage 2 you should be in and around 270bhp or so which is S3 power but with probably more torque which will be awesome for you as you already have quattro.

Stage 2+ (which I am not sure if you can get) includes an uprated fuel pump and possibly an intercooler (be it S3 or forge item).

This could potentially bring you close to 290-300bhp but then again, you will have to think of cost regarding uprated clutches, injectors, brakes etc...
  7. JeffY

JeffY Member

[Oct 9, 2009]
    Thanks guys, I don't really have a budget limit, although I probably wouldn't go over £5K for the mods.

I drove around at the Alps a few weeks ago, Davos, Stelvio, Livigno, st. Bernadino and Gotthard pass which was awesome. Stock suspension was a bit spongy at times and the brakes simply weren't up to the task as they overheated very easily. I'll likely be doing the same/similar trip next year and at least for that trip the extra power would be wasted without improved suspension and brakes.
  8. cloggie

cloggie New Member

[Oct 9, 2009]
    On my A3 the Whiteline WALK and Whiteline anti roll bars transformed the handling from 'stodgy' to fun............
  9. JeffY

JeffY Member

[Oct 12, 2009]
    Thanks Cloggie,

I have been looking at the Whiteline stuff, looks good but doesn't appear to be compatible with Quattro, is that right?
  10. davej_anderson

davej_anderson Member

[Oct 13, 2009]
    The S3/Cupra/R32 setup looks like a very reasonably priced mod, esp if you get the parts secondhand off ebay. Come to think of it, that's what I should be doing....