performance increase with revised parts,is this possible.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
A question for anyone in the know really with regards to revised replacement parts over original fitted parts.
Allow me to expand a bit, I recently had the complete turbo assembly inc turbo, manifold , bypass valve etc etc well a whole load of parts inc pipes bits and bobs also related to those parts replaced on my 2.0tfsi (BUL) engine.

The car (early 2007) had the original turbo etc fitted along with the early rev diverter valve etc all which have been replaced with parts which from my investigation are the latest rev parts direct from audi.
What I have now noticed is that there is a very noticeable increase in performance in 3 and 4 gear around the 3000 - 4000 rpm area (approx.), the speed increase and reduced time span from 40 -70 mph is really noticeable now, well its a massive change to be honest over the previous turbo and parts.

I can accept there will be an increase as my old unit was faulty, but it wasn't allways that way, the change is massive even compared from when I first got the car.
I am not complaining, far from it , its great but I was curious as to wether the revised parts would really make that much difference, I cant see the change being that big just by using the newest rev diverter valve, so is the turbo and manfold different too now, and should I consider getting a remap now withlst the car is performing really well, or just leave it alone.
any feedback would be great.

Could be that the old turbo and associated parts were really pants and you have never had stock power since you bought the car. Providing the clutch is up to it a remap will be a another step up in power. I have had a couple of cars remapped in the past and the best way by far was having a custom remap on the rollers, not a stock remap. The custom remaps do cost a £100 or so more but well worth it for the following reasons--------more power than a stock remap, optimized fuel consumption, quieter & smoother engine.

thanks for the reply, I know what you mean to be honest it was pretty darn nippy when I first got it but know its just bonkers.

Perhaps there were small, but compounded, boost loses due age to the 'old' DV , PCV valve etc ? Do you know exactly what was changed in addition to the turbo Rob ?

As Soot1 says - I'm sure a good stage 1 custom map on a rolling road would add the final polish to the car, without going too mad ( yet !?!?!) With our BUL engines, there isnt massive power gains (circa 30 bhp) to be had, but the main benefits are enhanced drivability and refined delivery.

yes I know what you mean about several smaller issues etc.
They replaced the turbo charger, the inlet manifold, DV valve, boost control valve , some other sensors and a load of pipework too, so a fair bit, now when I open the bonnet the whole engine bay looks spanking new.
I was just amazed at the difference in performance, I did wonder wether as the turbo was also the latest version it was a better performing unit over the original spec turbo, and add that to the updated other parts it all added upto the massive change , anyway whatever they have done to it it's fine by me, I was just curious as to the reasons why there ahs been such a big change.

yes I know what you mean about several smaller issues etc.
They replaced the turbo charger, the inlet manifold, DV valve, boost control valve , some other sensors and a load of pipework too, so a fair bit, now when I open the bonnet the whole engine bay looks spanking new.
I was just amazed at the difference in performance, I did wonder wether as the turbo was also the latest version it was a better performing unit over the original spec turbo, and add that to the updated other parts it all added upto the massive change , anyway whatever they have done to it it's fine by me, I was just curious as to the reasons why there ahs been such a big change.
The revised Dv can be the main gain in performance down to the old one staying open/leaking contributing to you loosing boost, especially in the midrange.
Boost leaks are the main loss of power on these engines so anything you have done to amend any issues boost related, will definitely increase performance.