Performance excess.

Not sure on the performance side of things, but the size of many cars such as an M6 or a R8 would put me off enjoying them on UK roads.

Last weekend had a fun drive from the M6 to Hawes along the A684. A really nice twisty road that the S3 handled well, the engine and gear box along with the quattro really had a fun time. Still had a be a little bit restrained, twisty roads and other road users result in a bit of care needing to be taken.

I can fully understand why people buy cars like an m6 and an R8. Often less likely for the full on driving, but knowing they can have a blast if they want to on the right bit of road.

Having driven an R8, its got stunning acceleration and road handling, but also really easy to drive around town. Still far to wide for my liking for an everyday car.

I agree. To me driving on enjoyable roads in the UK is much better done is a 'smaller' car than one the size of an R8. Most German roads are a bit wider than ours and driving something like an R8 off the motorway would be a better experience in it's 'homeland'

It's the people with crap cars that worry me. At least someone who has a performance car is least determined to cause harm to other road users. After I slowed to a stop to let a tailgating white van driver overtake me on a 20mph road in London despite not being able to go much further, he still decide he would try and clip the front of my car.

A driver in an expensive car would not be of a mindset to do this.

I agree. To me driving on enjoyable roads in the UK is much better done is a 'smaller' car than one the size of an R8. Most German roads are a bit wider than ours and driving something like an R8 off the motorway would be a better experience in it's 'homeland'

R8 only 6cm wider and 10cm longer than an A3 Sportback.
Will happily (more like snugly) fit into a single garage and is nowhere near too big for UK roads.