Perfect Conditions for a Stage 1 S3.

Spin140

Reaction score
I spent a little time cleaning the car today and enjoying the 10 degrees accompanied by brilliant sunshine, what a gorgeous weekend !!

Anyway after taking the kids for a walk the tempertaure dropped and the air felt damp, after dropping the kids off decided to take the S3 for a 'Spin'.

No I am really fortunate that I live in a semi-rural area with some superb roads right on the door step.

The car performed amazing tonight and so very strong - all down to perfect atmospheric conditions, cool, damp air and fast open roads.

Temp gauge was giving an indicated 6.5 degrees C, the car felt amazing, in these conditions yopu really do have to ask yourself is Stage 2+ really required with more than enough performance on offer to 'monster' your way along very fast A & B roads.
Had to share these moments with you all, the Mrs thinks I'm nuts when I arrive home raving about how strong and fast the car felt, the last 30 minutes, if only you could bottle times like these :)

Go drive, but be safe :)

Reactions: Juicy Jen, andywaddy, RedDejavu and 1 other person
I know the feeling.
cool damp air certainly helps the initial pick up feel stronger.
in my big turbo rs2 the difference was very noticeable.

Warren has come from Stg2+ and now has stg1 and was questioning going back to sg2+ the other day...bet he does though..its in his DnA :)

Personally i love stg1 , its a great compromise between std and having to watch fuel pump cams and major expense of 2+. i dont want to lose tractability either which can be a result of out and out performance.

I spent a little time cleaning the car today and enjoying the 10 degrees accompanied by brilliant sunshine, what a gorgeous weekend !!

Anyway after taking the kids for a walk the tempertaure dropped and the air felt damp, after dropping the kids off decided to take the S3 for a 'Spin'.

No I am really fortunate that I live in a semi-rural area with some superb roads right on the door step.

The car performed amazing tonight and so very strong - all down to perfect atmospheric conditions, cool, damp air and fast open roads.

Temp gauge was giving an indicated 6.5 degrees C, the car felt amazing, in these conditions yopu really do have to ask yourself is Stage 2+ really required with more than enough performance on offer to 'monster' your way along very fast A & B roads.
Had to share these moments with you all, the Mrs thinks I'm nuts when I arrive home raving about how strong and fast the car felt, the last 30 minutes, if only you could bottle times like these :)

Go drive, but be safe :)

Since I've remaped mine I cant stop taking the car out for a quick spin over and over again:p

You lot, stop teasing me! Pmsl. I am too scared to do it. It will start me down that long road of modding again that I thought was gone when I sold the Subaru! Hahaha
enjoy it. I have some awesome roads next to where I live too.

You lot, stop teasing me! Pmsl. I am too scared to do it. It will start me down that long road of modding again that I thought was gone when I sold the Subaru! Hahaha
enjoy it. I have some awesome roads next to where I live too.

Mate just stop avoiding unavoidable:] and book your car in with any Revo dealer for a remap:]. Let me say that again. Y O U WONT REGRET IT! full stop. Took few mates of mine for a spin last night and god they were like "holly sh.... this is fast!". Seriously this is the best mod you can get for the money.

they were no joking sh.. scared:]

Stage 1 is superb, real world quick.
Apart from the odd moment of mild temptation I never really intended to go beyond Stage 1, mainly because of the diminishing return of gains versus dosh, reliability, cost (of hardware) and the issue with warranty work and having uprated bolt ons
And probably the main reason for stay at stage 1 was because it felt, believe it or not, it actually felt enough.....

I am looking forward to getting back into a car that will make me want to drive the long way home.:racer:

shame you couldn't stretch to a 3.2 Paul...stuck with an old S3 like me :)

shame you couldn't stretch to a 3.2 Paul...stuck with an old S3 like me :)

do you mean this car with ugly looking wheels, girly Ibis white paint and ridiculous pimp black tint:] I know it! I swear I see it every morning stuck on my private parking bay.....:lmfao:

Last edited:
Stage 1 is superb, real world quick.
Apart from the odd moment of mild temptation I never really intended to go beyond Stage 1, mainly because of the diminishing return of gains versus dosh, reliability, cost (of hardware) and the issue with warranty work and having uprated bolt ons
And probably the main reason for stay at stage 1 was because it felt, believe it or not, it actually felt enough.....

I am looking forward to getting back into a car that will make me want to drive the long way home.:racer:

I can't believe it but actually really leaning towards staying at stage 1 for many of the reasons you ave quoted above. The car really does feel very quick and as I'm unlikely to take this one on track I can't think of an occasion when I would need more power. I can sense straight away that the car would benefit from less understeer and a little more braking feel/confidence but the latter not due to lack of performance more a case of greed :)

No doubt I will bow to self imposed pressure, curiousity and downright lack of self control and go ahead ayway but in the meantime, Stage 1 provides the S3 with a truly exhilerating level of performance, one happy chappy and so glad to be back in the S3 :)

threads like these makes my decision to upgrade to an S3 when funds may allow in the coming months more and more concrete lol!

Haha I am exactly the same stage 1 is awesome for the money, had mine done only 1 week ago and it's amazing.

I seem to be obsessed with finding tunnels just so I can hear the increased whoosh and exhaust note! Plus I cannot get enough of the DSG 'pop' noise!

...probably explains why I'm averaging 18mpg...

You boys need ​to go to Stage 2+, anything else is a waste! :):):)

I guess if you are happy to factor in the cost and fitting of a new cam follower every 6,000 miles plus stump up for a clutch then it's not the most expensive way to gain 30 bhp, at Stage 2+ the S3 is an animal , the jury is still out for me as I'm still undecided :)

I guess if you are happy to factor in the cost and fitting of a new cam follower every 6,000 miles plus stump up for a clutch then it's not the most expensive way to gain 30 bhp, at Stage 2+ the S3 is an animal , the jury is still out for me as I'm still undecided :)

New CF only £25 and its a 10min job to fit. No clutch for me! S-Tronic FTW! :)

Forgive the lack of knowledge - when you say "keep an eye on the cam-follower"...what exactly am I looking out for?

and kill the engine with shaterred camfollower:p

Just to put that in perspective,if you follow the right advice(as already given here) you should have no problems.

Mine has run an uprated HPFP for around 30 000 miles now and much of that at Stg3 or above.

Stg1 however, represents the best value for money upgrade that I've seen in a long while.

Just to put that in perspective,if you follow the right advice(as already given here) you should have no problems.

Mine has run an uprated HPFP for around 30 000 miles now and much of that at Stg3 or above.

Stg1 however, represents the best value for money upgrade that I've seen in a long while.

Did you change the cam follower ever since? If yes I assume its the uprated one? In addition I found reving on S above 6k pointless as there is a lot of power loss I noticed. When on manual and change at 6k engine runs and pulls very smoothly without losing breath. Seems like I need an air filter to improve top end dont I?

Last edited:
Did you change the cam follower ever since? If yes I assume its the uprated one? In addition I found reving on S above 6k pointless as there is a lot of power loss I noticed. When on manual and change at 6k engine runs and pulls very smoothly without losing breath. Seems like I need an air filter to improve top end dont I?

As soon as the HPFP was fitted at about 12 000 miles an uprated follower was fitted and thats been changed every time the car has another helping of mods or at 6000 miles.

I can't remember the spec of your car but at Stg2 or above I'd recommend the ITG intake.

Power loss above 6000 rpm can be down to fuelling,air flow,and the stock turbos limitation at higher boost levels,so there are a number of causes,depending on what you're running.

Last edited:
ah there you go then if you change it every 6k then fine some people though dont bother to check it on regular basis which is a must to aviod further problems I assume.

I'm stage 1 atm but looking forward to stage 2 hopefully 2-3 months time.

ah there you go then if you change it every 6k then fine same people though dont bother to check it on regular basis which is a must to aviod further problems I assume.

I'm stage 1 atm but looking forward to stage 2 hopefully 2-3 months time.

I've "invested" enough in my engine to know to look after it!!

There's no point in wrecking an engine for a cheap part like the follower and it's easy to have checked or replaced at oil services which should be done more often on an uprated car anyway.

no doubt about it Alex!:] Yo're one of the hottest S3s around AFN district:p

Most kind!

There are a few more over at VAGOC.

There's a Golf R running nearly 600 bhp and a few BT S3s around.