People who can't/refuse to use legible English and grammar.

Iz dis thred stil goin, thawt it wud of gt a bit borin by now init

hahah when I read that I sounded like a special kid *in my head*

Interesting thread. I'm all for better use of the English language and grammar wherever necessary, be it internet forums or spoken in the street. I take pride in it and hope and expect that others will, too.

There is another important aspect to the good use of language however. When my previous company was recruiting, we saw some absolutely shocking CVs with spelling mistakes and grammatical faults, and some of those that came in for an interview still failed to communicate properly - even before they'd sat a literacy test.

In other words, your use of English isn't just about fending off threads like this; it could just give you an edge in your career.

I totally agree, a CV with spelling and grammar mistakes goes straight in my bin!

How come the rest of Europe are proud of their languages (particularly the French) but our 'nation' feels like it has to butcher it to appear cool? I hang my head every time I hear a kid say "Innit".:crying:

To make matter worse...people seem to want to sound like they are 'straight outta Compton', with this hood-rat American slang...is it supposed to spund cool? Or just retarded?
Groan...

Now there is a nation from which to take an example...Not!

Seem to begin to wonder if this great nation of ours is great Ess but the Kersal Massive is creeping into our kids.
I think the AS English Language Inquisition is a good thing but then I see another soldier dead in Iraq/Afghanistan...perspective.

jcs356 said:
Not quite text speak, but a nice little poem for you:

Eye have a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss takes eye can knot sea

Eye strike the quays and type a
Word and weight four it two say
Weather I am rite oar wrong, it
Shows me strait aweigh

As soon as a mist ache is maid it
Nose bee four two long
And eye can put the error rite –
It’s rare lea ever wrong

I’ve run this poem threw it
Eye am shore yore pleas two no
It’s letter perfect in its weigh
My chequer tolled me sew

likin it, spell check, the way forward!

LottieA3 said:
You've got the wrong end of the stick mate. I wasnt meaning what I said personal to you. Was trying to stick up for you and the other guy who now I forget and saying...oh it dont matter.

Goodness sake everyone. Lighten up.:nyah:

Lottie,

there are those who have a sense of humour and those who just dont! I got caught out on the sense of text thing when I first joined the forum, many just laughed there socks off at me, which is fine, I am capable of laughing at my own errors, but hey, if they wish to sit on their humour, good luck to them! (was the English and grammar ok for u?! :jump: )

funkidiva said:
Lottie,

there are those who have a sense of humour and those who just dont! I got caught out on the sense of text thing when I first joined the forum, many just laughed there socks off at me, which is fine, I am capable of laughing at my own errors, but hey, if they wish to sit on their humour, good luck to them! (was the English and grammar ok for u?! :jump: )

TBH teh 3nglish gramma u ave tieped iznt perfek but I ave got teh jizt of it.

Fanks babes!

Tastyterrier said:
How come the rest of Europe are proud of their languages (particularly the French)...

The French are actually much like us and are fed up of Americanisms (and general English words) creeping into their language. I'm sure my ex-girlfriend (French) once told me that Chirac, when in power, actually wanted legislation to try and stem the flow of 'English' words/phrases that are currently diluting the French tongue. Business names and brands are acceptable (McDonalds, Sony, Audi, etc) but other 'English' words used in general conversation to replace the already available French equivilents annoy many French people. As expected it is the young (and many businesses taking advantage as such to try to look 'cool') that are driving the tide.

I actually feel sorry for them. French is a beautiful language and so the bastardisation of their language by Americanisms/'English' is more pronounced and ultimately more noticeable that it is for those in actual English speaking countries.

Shades said:
I actually feel sorry for them. French is a beautiful language and so the bastardisation of their language by Americanisms/'English' is more pronounced and ultimately more noticeable that it is for those in actual English speaking countries.

I dont feel sorry for them at all, Ive travelled through France many times, the stereotypical view of them being insular and rude to anyone that doesnt speak French to a good standard is true, try using a major French Airport or Trainstation for proof.

(nice roads though)

French is a lovely language to hear spoken...
France is a lovely Country...
Pity then, that it's full of French people.

I've come accross the rude ones too..but also the perfectly charming ones - especially the stunning young women!

Where would we be if we didnt have rules?

Where would we be if we had too many rules?

Ummm yes the English are so sympathetic to Europeans who can't speak English, so I don't think we can be too harsh on the French, but yes they do go out of their way to pretend they don't understand us, but then we don't exactly pride ourselves on using even the most basic phrases in French.

I totally agree, I pick up my kids mobile phones and for the life of me cannot decipher their text messages at all !

Way of the world Im afraid :crying:

C1EE1_microsoft_word_write_letterz_n_.jpg