1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PDR (Paintless Dent Removal) Possible on this?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by essIII, Sep 17, 2012.

1. essIII

essIII Active Member

[Sep 17, 2012]
    All,

I've had this dent on the roof of my S3 for too long now! I'd kind of written it off as too expensive to bother repairing, but it does make me cry a little each time I was the car! Having read a bit about PDR recently, I was wondering if anyone with any experience thought it might be possible to remove this one?

[​IMG]

(right in the middle of 2nd pic, harder to spot)
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Rich
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. hades-

hades- Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

[Sep 17, 2012]
    looks like a good PDR guy could sort that
  4. MattyW19

MattyW19 Member

[Sep 17, 2012]
    I would of thought so! I had my door done after some sod had opened the door on it!!

However they used bars with mine and got to it down the window. They will probably use a suction on that to be honest?
  5. essIII

essIII Active Member

[Sep 17, 2012]
    Yeah, it's the 'sharpness' of the dent that worries me - if you look at the 2nd picture there's almost a straight line crease along the bottom of it - I thought that might rule out suction?
  6. MattyW19

MattyW19 Member

[Sep 17, 2012]
    Yeah I know what you mean! Your probably best taking it to them and see what they think? I'd definetly have it done even if there is the slightest marking left?
  7. OVRA3

OVRA3 Well-Known Member

[Sep 17, 2012]
    I think they would use a glue on it to effectively pull it out the over pull it then tap back with a little hammer thing all very clever most companies have an email contact send a pic to them
  8. tedward

tedward Member

[Sep 17, 2012]
    All depends on the skill of the PDR guy and whats behind the dent....it may lie exactly over a roof support cross section making access difficult/impossible.

When access is difficult they can use glue on dent pullers to get the ball rolling. May be a case of they can make it better, but not perfect.

Where abouts in the country are you? i know a PDR guy who is second to none.
  9. essIII

essIII Active Member

[Sep 17, 2012]
    Surrey - no where near Lancashire! Read a few good things about these guys so will shoot them a mail: Dentex Mobile Paintless Dent Removal 19 Yrs Experience Free Online Estimates
  10. icekay

icekay Member

[Sep 17, 2012]
    As long is the panel is not double skinned and they can access behind the dent they can do it, bearing In mind if the crease is sharp or quite deep it will probably crack the paint work.

Best bet is take a picture and email/upload to a few PDR companies and see what they say.
  11. PaulRS3

PaulRS3 Well-Known Member

[Sep 17, 2012]
    I had a similar dent removed on my previous S3 after a conker fell on the roof, while waiting at a junction.
    I could not tell afterwards.
    All depends on the skills of the operator and where the support braces fall.
  12. _G_

_G_ Active Member

[Sep 17, 2012]
    the clear coat may be damaged - agreed.
  13. yoshia3aportback

yoshia3aportback New Member

[Sep 18, 2012]
    i always think its hard to tell with pictures of dents for PDR the slight crease shouldnt be much of a problem for decent PDR guys. i have seen our local guy in aberdeen remove some dents that i did not think would be poissible but you would never notice the difference afterwards.
  14. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets VCDS Map User

[Sep 18, 2012]
    it would take a skilled pdr but its entirely possible if youre down dundee way theres a very good lad
  15. Forbzeeee

Forbzeeee Active Member

[Sep 18, 2012]
    I used to run my own business doing PDR and this certainly looks doable. PDR would be your best option. I used to take on any job where the paint was not cracked but every single ding/dent is different. It would have to be looked at by eye to tell if it will be removed completely or if there would be a tiny crease left as metal has memory.

All I can say is that it will look much better and would be well worth the cost of a PDR technician coming to look at it and take it on.
  16. karl210

karl210 Member

[Sep 18, 2012]
    chipsaway do a free quote, ask for one of thier pdr guys it might cost peanuts, my mate works for them but he does manchester area.
    i saw a thing on youtube the other day where you heat up the dent with a heatgun and then spray it with compressed air and it can bring the dint out, worth a look