PD130 alternator belt change - How??

doublem_1

Reaction score
I am in the middle of doing a few jobs on my car. One of them is replacing the alternator belt. I assumed that there would be a nut on the tensioner to slacken the belt. However mine doesn't have one and I can't tell how to get the belt off. Has anyone else done this job before?

This is the tensioner that I have on mine:

Belt Tensioner for the VW Golf / Bora 1.9 TDI ASZ engine | eBay

I took the whole tensioner off, only to find that it can be pushed/pulled one way to slacked the belt. It was quite stiff but once "bent" I re-attached it to do put the belt on.

You see on the top of the tensioner, there's a square. Get a 16mm open ended spanner on that and you can move it to release the tension :)

AHHHHHHH ok, I think I understand. I'll go have a look!

And there will be a hole that you can stick a pin in to keep it detentioned while you fit the belt

Oh really? That makes sense actually. Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated.

I think the time has come to replace the Aux belt tensioner. Has anyone done one on here? Is it a straight forward job?

If it is anything like the 1.8t tensioner it will be held on by 3 13mm bolts.

From the look of it thats certainly what it looks like. Sounds pretty easy then. Literally just a matter of loosening the tension and undoing the bolts then.