1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCV delete w/o catch can for now - all ok?

Vex182 Aug 8, 2012

1. Vex182

Vex182 Guess what I drive...

Got a couple of leaks in my PCV system, until I get a catch can on my S3 BAM can I route the brake boost pipe just to the intake manifold like tuffty? Can I then block off the other vac pipe in the manifold and just connect the oil filter pipe to the triple joint on rocker cover that then links to the "hockey put valve" then to the tip? Thanks! Wanted to get round to doing this today if possible until I get my catch can ordered.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  2. Vex182

Anyone able to give some advice? I can't see why this won't work after reading the sticky about catch cans.

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

You can run a PCV delete without a catch can... this is what I am doing currently..

I detailed a PCV delete/catch can fitting in a previous thread...

All you need to do in your current case is remove the rubber T piece with the PVC valve in from the outlet in the block and join the outlet to the hard pipe (crappy plastic bit that breaks) going to the triple pipe jobber..

Block the vac outlet underneath the inlet mani and connect the servo vac to the 90 degree outlet on the end of the mani... simples

<tuffty/>

Essflee likes this.
  4. Vex182

Yeh that's what I thought, the "hard pipe" do you mean the big one above the oil filter, if you do then it is as straight forwards it sounds!

5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

I think I need to make this pic my avatar lol
    [​IMG]

The 'T' I mean is PN 06A 103 247 in the pic... remove that, remove all teh rest of the above too... join from 06A 103 213 F to the pipe going up to the triple hose... block off the outlet on the inlet mani where 06A 133 783 AS was connected and connect the servo vac hose removed from red circled piece bottom left of the pic to the 90 deg outlet on the side of the inlet

Simples... AMK/BAM s3's are dead easy to PCV delete

<tuffty/>

DarrenS3 and Essflee like this.
  6. Vex182

Yeh that's what I have just done, just seems like a lot has come out lol. Just going to go for a quick test before putting the covers on snd getting breakfast! Because I had a leak in this piping, I guess I should hold boost a little better now?

7. <tuffty/>

I would imagine so... not having a leak is a plus :)

<tuffty/>

8. Vex182

Seems all good! Nothing appers to be leaking, e.g oil deposits etc. All pipes seem tight and I have brakes lol. Cheers.

9. Freeman_1986

Freeman_1986 Member

Would a catch can have to be fitted at some point? or would just doing this suffice? Would doing it without damage the engine in any way?

10. Vex182

Mine is still like this now! Kinda just left it and all has been well.

11. Freeman_1986

Freeman_1986 Member

I'm assuming it has all the same benefits of doing it with the catch can then? Only ask as I have a leak on the PCV system.

12. Freeman_1986

Freeman_1986 Member

Also am I going to need any extra hose? What size etc?

13. JudderMan

JudderMan Well-Known Member

14. rraghvani

rraghvani Whoever does not try, does not learn.

After looking at the workshop manual for the BAM engine and reading this website, is it possible to have this setup without the catch can (highlighted in purple and green)?

a3-6589.png

18 - Crankcase Breather, does this have a one way valve? Is it necessary to remove 06A 103 247, and block it off and just have 06A 103 213 F connecting straight to the Y pipe that's connect to 12 - Pressure Control Value?

15. Greg-S3

Greg-S3 Active Member

With the help of Tuffty mine is all done and no catch can and it's running a treat!

16. rraghvani

rraghvani Whoever does not try, does not learn.

The workshop manual doesn't show the vacuum pipes (picture <tuffty/> has attached) for BAM engine - hence, I'm curious to know whether I can have that set up.

Greg-S3, I don't suppose you have a diagram of photos of your set up?

17. Stuart B

Stuart B Well-Known Member

I am looking to do this soon as an improvement.

1. was 2 vac lines to the brake servo a safety feature or will it not matter at all that one is capped off?
    2. will it effect any MOT tests with or without a catch can?

when I changed my TIP there was only a small amount of clean looking oil residue on the inside of the hose.

18. <tuffty/>

There is only one vacuum pipe going to the servo

<tuffty/>

19. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

In light of recent experiments I'm not at all convinced a PCV delete is an improvement.

20. Stuart B

in what respect? I am literally about to buy a 19mm catch can?

I am not particularly looking for an improvement - but as I understood it - the catch-can stops the blow-by gases containing moisture and oil going back through the Turbo Intake Pipe, turbo, throttle body etc. some people comment that you get more octane from the petrol too.

21. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Audi S3

in the way that when most people install a catch can they delete the PCV system rather than add the catch can to the PCV system

22. Stuart B

well I took the N249 jungle off when I first got the car. This is obviously a project - so I am simply looking for things to do :D

I drove today for 40 mins somewhere went shopping and queued in traffic for 20mins and drive home again, that is actually the first time I have used the car rather than simply blasting round the 15 mile route to test bits and pieces for about 4 weeks. (fingers crossed it still is holding the coolant)

I need to change some breather hose from puck to B5 TIP as it is kinked after fitting the TIP - so was considering going the next step and taking all this off now.