PCP and remap, mods etc.

TheFiftheElement

Reaction score
Ok, I've had my S3 S-Tronic Sepang Sportback for 10 months now, and to be honest, I have itchy feet.

It is typical for me, getting bored so quickly, so not just a reflection of the car itself, although it is so competent, for me it's lacking a bit of character :lick: it does everything I want, and if I was to write down on paper what I require from a car in terms of looks, speed, mpg, costs to run, it's bang on (that's why I have one) but it's lacking a little sparkle ..

So this brings me to 2 options, 1 change it (ooooft for the depreciation) or 2 modify it. I am considering a remap.

I have my car on a 48 month PCP, so I guess my question is, if I remap the car, at the end of the PCP period when the dealers discover (if they haven't already) that it's flagging a TD1, how would that impact my GFV or ability to shift the car on? i.e. Oh, you have a TD1 sir, it's now worth 50p or actually we won't take it, as the warranty is clearly void for the next customer :no:

Apologies if this has already been asked before, I had a quick search and couldn't see anything :think:

Dealer dependent?

Not sure about the modding side but the warranty would've expired at 3 years anyway so thats not a concern.

Strictly speaking, I believe you would be in breach of contract and technically they could insist payment in full as a result - check the terms and conditions that you signed. Now, that doesn't generally happen as far as I'm aware but it did for someone over at SCN. But if nothing goes wrong then as above if you kept it to beyond the warranty period then it will likely make little difference.

But that's the gamble you take.

I had my last A3 on PCP and when I traded it in for the S3 they didn't even look at the car. I handed them the keys and left in my new car. Anything they find, will probably be once you have disappeared.

Instead of a remap what about a tuning box e.g. the DTUK one? Gains aren't as big as a remap but shouldn't cause td1 flag for when you give the car back.

On my A5 my dealer asked me 5 months in if I'd mapped it yet and if not why not! Same scenario as you they don't care, offered to get it done for me locally too, turned out superchips were doing 25% off though so snapped there hands off.

All the T1 stuff is just scare mongering and decent supplier would put it back on for you anyway if it was removed.

Beware though if economy is a factor as can be just as efficient but it's like a razor edge to manage and so tempting to push on.

Thanks folks, I suspect the answer will be hand the car in, nothing will be said about any TD1 to either me or the new owner. I'll get a shiny new car, and the next owner of my S3 will get an approved Audi warranty with no idea he/she is running around in a car that's either previously been mapped or still is mapped :blink:

I have considered a tuning box, but I'm a bit wary about it only fooling the ECU into providing more boost without adjusting fuelling/timing etc. MTM would likely be the way to go but hell it's expensive :ermm:

I have considered a tuning box, but I'm a bit wary about it only fooling the ECU into providing more boost without adjusting fuelling/timing etc. MTM would likely be the way to go but hell it's expensive :ermm:

I think the problem with MTM is that they have to undo the tamper-proof bolts to gain access to the ECU. I can't imagine that a dealer is going to miss that if they go looking for it.

I think the problem with MTM is that they have to undo the tamper-proof bolts to gain access to the ECU. I can't imagine that a dealer is going to miss that if they go looking for it.
I had not to undo the tamper proof bolts on my S3 to install my MTM box as there are no such tamper proof bolts on it....

Last edited:
Would you mind taking a photo of the ECU, please? I just had a look at my S1's ECU because I am thinking about installing an MTM box but it appears to have the tamper-proof bolts installed.

You should easily find pic of the S3 8v ECU. The ECU is just maintained by a plastic support and no tamper-proog bolts.

Chances are they won't be bothered about a map' well for business lease, as wrong as it is and which is worse than mapping a car' know plenty of people clocking the miles back which seems to have went undetected