Pay As You Go Sim Info Needed

joinerman

Reaction score
There's an old lady lives alone two doors from us, she still gets out up the shops & into town but lately she's needed help from total strangers to get home, so I've bought her one of those big button senior citizen mobile phones, i need a really cheap payg sim card to put in it which i will put some credit on when needed, looked around the web but it's a minefield, anyone got any advise/experience

Reactions: Blackwhite and Sandra
I’m no expert on this, just trying to help out a little if I can..
If she’s just going to use it for emergency calls, or just the odd short call, I don’t think there’s much to choose from one network to another, but maybe best to go with what network works best in that area.

:respekt: to you @joinerman for helping the old lady out :icon thumright:

Thanks, yes she has a son who lives about 30 miles away, never comes to see her, didn't even invite her for crimbo last year, we get most of her heavy groceries delivered with ours which i usually end up paying for but hay ho it's only money, just hope i get help when I'm her age, ( mid 80s )

Oh & yes it's just for emergency's

Reactions: Blackwhite and Audi33
For price check out Tesco or GiffGaff, either company should have alright reception (provided o2's decent in your area) and be all a lady could ever need.

Edit: come to think about it they're mostly good for contracts, could always pick up a sub ten pounds per month rolling contract for her though.

Last edited:
Tesco had a deal if you put £10 on they doubled it, but it inly lasts 30days. Ee has one if you credit £5 yiu coukd get a smart pack which is so many texts or mins, this again was for 30 days only. :) x

Most of the network providers won't let you carry your unused credit over to the next month so 4 years ago I got my mum who is 78 a Virgin mobile PAYG with £10 credit the only thing you've got to do is make one call on it in 90 days for it to stay active , there still over £8 left.

Reactions: Sandra
Sorted now, went down Tesco's , £10 top up & they give you £20 extra, you have to use the £20 in a month or loose it but you still have your original tenner

Reactions: Nilz, DieselJake and Sandra
Sorted now, went down Tesco's , £10 top up & they give you £20 extra, you have to use the £20 in a month or loose it but you still have your original tenner

Good deal. You really are one in a million Joinerman. The world would be a much nicer place if there were more caring people like you in it. Your a top bloke. :) x

Reactions: Phil-1 and Ghost
Awe your making me blush now Sandra. Thanks
Will give it to her in the morning when she gets back from church, must remember to show her how to set it to Silent, lol

@joinerman, top bloke, well done.

I got a sim card for a spare phone on O2, same kinda thing, put money on it and use it or lose it so I called them and said I only needed it for a spare phone and rarely used it so they set it up so I could put a tenner on it and it wouldn't expire only just as I used it. Maybe worth giving the provider a call and saying its just for emergencies only.

Only just read this, but I was going to say to go for the Tesco one which it looks like you have done.

Well done for helping out mate, not many people out there that would go above and beyond their normal day to day tasks to help others.

Keep up the good work :)