1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passport problem

S3-Sandy Feb 27, 2013

  1. S3-Sandy

    S3-Sandy S3 OFU


    I'm in a bit of a situation and was wondering if anyone has been through this before or something similar. I recently got married to an American who is studying at University in England. We decided that Sara would settle over here with me and have applied for a UK partner visa. We sent off our documents, both passports/marriage certificate etc off to the home office in December. 3 Months on and we are still waiting. Yesterday my work approached me about a job in Toulouse that they need me to go to in about 2 weeks. With the government still holding my passport is there any way that anyone knows of that I can still travel outside of the UK. I am a British citizen and my passport is valid, I just don't have it!

    Any suggestions??
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. hades-

    hades- Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

    why dont you ring them and ask
    and explain you need to go out of england for work
    im sure they will know better than us.
  3. S3-Sandy

    S3-Sandy S3 OFU

    We are trying that too but a lot of people are speaking to the Passport office and the work secretary doesn't really have the time to be sat on hold for an hour. I was only asking on the off chance that someone on here has had a similar bind and has some knowlege on the situation. The forum does have a few members after all
  4. Rom

    Rom Member VCDS Map User

    The only way I see is getting your passport back.
    You still need it, even if staying in the eu.

    I assume you sent it special / recorded, or at least know they have it?
    Other than ringing them, and asking for it back I dont see an option.
  5. sidibear

    sidibear Looking for Zombies !! Staff Member Moderator Audi A4

    You will need your passport to leave the UK mainland other than to Ireland or IOM.
    You don't necessarily need one to come here though but you would need the Partner visa. Why did you apply, does she have a time limit on her visa?

    Being related to an American national can restrict your movement throughout the world though, some countries will not let you enter with a USA passport or even a visa stamp in it so check well in advance.

    I am dual nationality and have previously had a lot of hassle leaving Europe and travelling through certain countries. I once flew from Switzerland to Egypt and couldn't board a plane that entered Libyan airspace so had to go to Georgia and transfer.
  6. S3-Sandy

    S3-Sandy S3 OFU

    Oh the joys of world politics. looks like I'm going nowhere anytime soon then. Sara's current Visa is a student one and expires in June so we applied early as her last Visa took 6 months to come through. If I request my Passport back it invalidates the Visa application and we lose the fee already paid, £600. It's all a bit **** really :( Thanks for the responses all the same

Share This Page