Passenger door wont unlock?

Ginger Prince

Reaction score
Im unsure if its related or just a strange coincidence, but, last week VCDS was used to enable functions such as:

i) Scandinavian mode
ii) Tear drop rear wiper
iii) Brake lights flash under hard braking
iv) DRL dims when indicating
v) Speedo/rev dials constantly illuminated

Since this day, the front passenger side door of my 3dr Audi S3 (8P) isn't unlocking via the key-fob. Normally I would double press the unlock button but now nothing.

Im not an expert but I don't think its a mechanical issue as I can hear the door lock mechanism working in the door, I personally think its a coding/fob issue.

Has anyone else come across this issue, if so, how was it rectified as I wondered if there was a way of recalibrating the key fob without the need to mess around with VCDS.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Not answering your question but can you explain what Scandinavian mode and tear drop rear wiper are please. Liking the other mods too.

Scandinavian mode is when the rear lights come on when using the DRL & tear drop means the rear wiper does an extra wipe a few seconds after washing the rear windscreen.

Im unsure if its related or just a strange coincidence, but, last week VCDS was used to enable functions such as:

i) Scandinavian mode
ii) Tear drop rear wiper
iii) Brake lights flash under hard braking
iv) DRL dims when indicating
v) Speedo/rev dials constantly illuminated

Since this day, the front passenger side door of my 3dr Audi S3 (8P) isn't unlocking via the key-fob. Normally I would double press the unlock button but now nothing.

Im not an expert but I don't think its a mechanical issue as I can hear the door lock mechanism working in the door, I personally think its a coding/fob issue.

Has anyone else come across this issue, if so, how was it rectified as I wondered if there was a way of recalibrating the key fob without the need to mess around with VCDS.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

It might help if you read this thread :- http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/175494-drivers-door-lock.html#post1745127

Happened to me on my passenger door and just started for no apparent reason !

Cheers for the response pal.

Ive put my ear to the door & can hear it lock/unlock but I don't hear anything (i.e a second movement within the door) when I double press the fob to unlock the passenger side door.
Ive also used the unlock button from inside the car but that also wont allow the door to open from outside.
The door will only open if its opened with the handle from inside.

Anyone know how I go about taking off the door panel, I don't know where to start & don't want to break anything?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
I bumped as I didn't want to pester the same people (i.e you!) and wondered whether others also had experienced similar issues.

I am keen to resolve the issue myself but not going to recklessly start taking things apart without first being armed with the correct instructions.

Prior to posting this thread, I did conduct enquiries but unfortunately I didn't get the responses I required. I then sought help from forum users who are normally polite, friendly & helpful....

I appreciate the advise given but ask for a little more patience with members who may not be as mechanically and/or computer savvy.

For future reference there is a search box at the top of the page. If you type in the phrase you require (in this case 'door card removal' ) up comes the answer to which I gave the link that you required. I see that you have revived that thread by thanking the OP but with judicial use of the search box you could have had that information 4 days ago without my having to do it for you.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers a bit but it does not require computer savvy to use a search box.

As far the unlocking problem is concerned this question was answered by me just before Christmas in the previous link I gave you in post #4. When the answer has been posted so recently it is very frustrating to get the same question in a brand new post and indicates that the person concerned has not even attempted to research the problem on this forum before posting.

I do not know which direction your enquiries went but, again, use of the search box would have led you to the answer.

As far as your comment about responding helpfully is concerned, I believe I am the only member to have responded at all with any help, even though it is the second time in 5 weeks. You will always find that members are more willing to help if the person has made a genuine effort to solve his problem but still has difficulty in resolving.

Finally can I re-iterate my warning in the previous thread that on a difficulty scale of 1 to 10, this is a 9 ! If you do not have, or do not feel you have, the necessary mechanical skills then you should not attempt a repair other than a direct plug for plug replacement of the unit and even in that case you will need VCDS to perform the basic settings in the door module.

If, after reading and understanding all that is necessary to complete this fix, and if you decide to attempt it and still get into difficulty then I will be happy to assist by answering any further questions you may have.