1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passenger door not unlocking?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by zeeeebo, Nov 15, 2009.

1. zeeeebo

zeeeebo Lifes one big laugh

ok so i replaced all my central locking pump but its still whirling more than normal which would mean a vac leak somewhere? my passenger door is trying to unlock but not pushing all the way up? would this indicate the leak being on the passenger side?

i have had a look between the door and the chasis but cant hear any leaking.
    any other ideas?
  2. zeeeebo

anyone?
  3. NHN

NHN Modmetractor Site Sponsor

Assuming you double checked the vac pipes on the pump itself are sealed 100%, what was the original fault or was that the reason for changing it out.
  4. zeeeebo

the orignal fault was pump was knackered so put a new pump in but it was overrunning. i unplugged the blue wire ( left hand side) off the pump and put my finger over it and it worked fine so i know the leak is somewhere on the left hand side. i took the rubber crommit linking the car to the door off and put tape all around the vac lead as far as i could reach but problem still is happening
  5. NHN

I maybe wrong but didnt the pipes use a connector onto the pump, think it was these had a habit of breaking, its not leaking there is it as the pipes are fairly reliable tbh mate, have you had the door card of & pillar to door rubber seal to check if there's any issues in there?
  6. zeeeebo

i checked the rubber seal and put electrical tape all along the pipe from door to car, they do have connectors so i will check this tomorrow!
    how do you take the door card off?
  7. J3NKO

J3NKO Member

There are two screws at the top of doorcard inner and outer edge, remove those.

Undo the single screw underneath the grab handle. Slide down on the plastic insert you just removed the screw from which will reveal two more hidden screws. Remove those and using the grab handle, lift the doorcard straight up and it should come free.

Then you have to disconnect all electrics and the locking mechanism.

HTH
    J3NKO
  8. zeeeebo

ok mended the clip as it didnt look to healthy but still is leaking! ill try take the door card off sometime this week
  9. NHN

Which clip?
  10. zeeeebo

the clip onto the pump itself. i dont think it was leaking but put a new clip on there anyway
  11. NHN

Gonna have to follow the pipe back from the pump along that side mate to find the leak, only way to do it fella.
  12. zeeeebo

yer i have started doing that! its annoying and tedious! still no leak and i have got up to the door!
  13. NHN

Well definitely double check & block of the right connector mate & see if still doesnt stop, but its probably a pipe connection, I assume at each check point with a connector you stick finger over the pipe after disconnecting the join & test pump see if it stops, well thats the process I would follow to prove the leak isnt upto there
  14. zeeeebo

where are the joins? or is it just one straight through pipe? if i block the right connector it leaks if i block the left then the right works fine
  15. NHN

Well work along left then & check every damn mm of the pipe & I'm sure there will be joins mate to get around any turns/twists as its not a flexy pipe iirc
  16. zeeeebo

so do i have to take all the back panneling off?
  17. NHN

Its not to much of a job to follow that along tbh, but I would say only way to find the leak is to follow the pipe, it could of over time become brittle at one point not even on a join & cracked, so best to check the whole thing mate, thats what I would do, ball breaker job but just thinkof the pleasure in fixing it, lol
  18. zeeeebo

this is true! i shall have a crak when im not working!
  19. zeeeebo

found the leak! in the boot! supposedly the left hand vac pipe is connected to the boot locking too!
  20. NHN

Aha bistro, you see perseverance, now tell me you dont feel better for fixing it or at least finding the issue, lmfao
  21. zeeeebo

hahah yer i do! but i would never of guested the boot hahah! cheers for your support mate hahah