1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passenger Airbag

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by striderman, Jan 16, 2004.

1. striderman

striderman A4 b6 1.8T Black

[Jan 16, 2004]
    Is it possible to disable the passenger side airbag??
    My Baby is sick of sitting in the back of my car and not being able to see where i am going!!
    I have spoken to Audi and my model is Pre-key to disable and they would like £50 to disable and ANOTHER £50 to re-activate when she is old enough not to need a seat.
    I was thinking more like £20 would be more reasonable for a job which i am sure would only take 2 mins with the correct equipment!!
  2. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Jan 16, 2004]
    With something like the air bag I would't attempt to mess about with it or try to go elsewhere to get a cheaper price. The dealer will know what they are doing so personally I would stump up the £50. Or you could always buy a roof rack and put her on that-she will have a good view from there!!!
  3. benk

benk Member

[Jan 16, 2004]
    A lot of companies refuse to disable the airbag, because they cannot promise that the airbag is definitely disabled. I imagine it's more to do with covering themselves legally if they said they'd disabled it and it did go off for any reason.
    Also, I imagine getting airbags disabled affects insurance, as less protection could mean more legal costs in the event of injuries? It'd be worth calling your insurer to check.
  4. SimonPoole

SimonPoole Member

[Jan 19, 2004]
    I was in the same position and asked Audi about the cost of deactivating the passenger air bag as my dealer was quoting me £36 (half hours labour). They told me it is up to the individual dealer how much they charge and some may charge for a full hour!
    All that they need to do is plug their diagnostic computer in and reprogramme the ECU to do this.
    I hadn't thought about the insurance implications for an adult in the passenger seat with the air bag deactivated though.
  5. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Jan 19, 2004]
    I'd help you out as I've got VAG-COM which should be able to reprogramme it, but I'm on the south coast. You might be able to get it done if you go to a club day and ask around if anyone got VAG-COM.
  6. striderman

striderman A4 b6 1.8T Black

[Jan 19, 2004]
    Thanks for the offer HTC.
    Ill keep my ear to the ground for A club day meet up in the North West.
    HINT
    ???!!!???ANYONE ????!!???