1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAS whine & loss of fluid

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by The Doctor, Dec 9, 2012.

1. The Doctor

The Doctor Well-Known Member

[Dec 9, 2012]
    Hi chaps, need some help.

I noticed the other evening that there was a small patch of fluid on my drive, just in front of my driver's side front wheel. I felt up under the car and there was a clear oily odourless liquid on the undertray. Not having time to do anything about it at the time, I left it until the weekend to have a closer look. Anyway, on Friday I noticed that my power steering was whining when I parked the car at work (no noise when driving). When I checked the PAS fluid reservoir it was almost empty (just touching the bottom of the dipstick!).

Had a better look under the front of the car tonight and there's clearly a leak from that front corner somewhere - the undertray is coated in the stuff.

Anyone suggest where the leak is likely to be coming from? The rubber pipe from the reservoir down to that corner is dry, so I suspect it's somewhere just above the undertray that's leaking.

Any photos would be really useful too.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. StaceyS3

StaceyS3 Well-Known Member

[Dec 9, 2012]
    I've just had a very simular issue mine, it was whiney and could hear the pump cavitating (had been like it for a couple of days but steering was fine) so naturally filled it up but upon start up what must have been a very small leak just burst from what I presume must be due to now was full created full pressure due to having no air in the system and lost my power steering instantly

It turns out the outlet pipe off of the pump had cracked which is partially my fault as had cable tied the other hard pipe to it as a temporary measure but never got round to making the support bracket for it :(
  4. The Doctor

[Dec 9, 2012]
    Oops. Yeah I am worried about what might happen if I just top it up, but I'm going to try that 1st anyway. Given the dark nights, it'll be next weekend before I have a look at it now though, so will be pinching the Mrs' car as much as possible this week.

Where's the pump located? Not had a proper look at mine yet.
  5. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

[Dec 9, 2012]
    The pump is the bottom pulley wheel, same side as the cam belt
  6. The Doctor

[Dec 9, 2012]
  7. vrbob

vrbob Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

[Dec 10, 2012]
    i have replaced the cheap pipe that runs under the front of the car around the sump as i had a pin hole leak there where it had rubbed due to the barckets not holding the pipe tight enough.

I also had a much more expensive pipe welded after i made a little hole in it with an angle grinder trying to remove my old downpipe. the weld cost me £5 and has been fine since so if you can locate said pipe with a hole in it. If the pipe is still in good nick its probably worth a trip to your local metal workshop as might save you a few quid.
  8. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Dec 10, 2012]
    usual leak is from the flexi, but some have also rusted thru. If its wet on the flexi crimped section you can get a local hydraulic hose company to replace that section.

far cheaper than buying a replacement
  9. The Doctor

[Dec 10, 2012]
    Thanks for the advice, chaps. I'm hoping to get under the car at some point tomorrow for a quick look, just to see where it's leaking from. It's definitely somewhere around the front off-side, looks like it's under the rad, but I'll only know for sure once I get it up on axle stands & take the undertray off. Will post some pics tomorrow if I get a chance to have a look.
  10. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Dec 11, 2012]
    thats the exact location of the flexi
  11. The Doctor

[Dec 11, 2012]
    Well, I managed to get under the car quickly this afternoon and I've found the problem. It's the shorter length of rigid metal pipework under the rad. It's clearly corroded around the bracket where the pipe doubles-back on itself, but there is also corrosion around the other 2 mounting points. So that'll be an order for part number 8NO422885A, plus the PAS fluid and replacement bolts/grommets etc. coming to £101.10 inc VAT all together.

The other longer rigid metal pipe and the flexi section from the reservoir to the pump look OK for now. Here are some pics, hope they help, will post some more when I do the replacement:

Drips of PAS fluid on the undertray before removal:

[​IMG]

The corrosion around the bracket & rigid pipe where it doubles-back, prior to wiping off the PAS fluid:

[​IMG]

The same section, once cleaned up:

[​IMG]

The corrosion around the other bracket under the rad:

[​IMG]

The corrosion around the 3rd mounting point, on the near-side just before connecting to the 2 flexi pipes:

[​IMG]

The longer length of rigid metal pipework looks fine (note missing hanger on front of gearbox - previous owner!):

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  12. vrbob

vrbob Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

[Dec 11, 2012]
    thats the same pipe i had leak on my car and i think my leak was a similar location.

My pipe also was missing a hanger or it just want fitted properly which meant that the pipe did move around a bit which i believe caused the hole in the pipe through rubbing on the chassis.

When i fitted the new pipe i made sure i fitted as much of the support brackets as possible and it was much more solid and therefore hopefully wont move and rub anymore
  13. olly_s3

olly_s3 New Member

[Dec 11, 2012]
    Thats rather lucky as i had this with mine a while back easy job to do and parts only like £60 from audi they actually call it an oil cooler not power steering pipe. It joins at flexi's so just get a couple of jubilee clips as old ones need cutting offHope this helps!
  14. The Doctor

[Dec 15, 2012]
    Replaced the rigid metal PAS pipe that sits under the radiator this morning. Easy job, just a bit laborious waiting for the bubbles to rise to the fluid reservoir once the system was re-filled. I've posted some pics below with all part numbers in case they're useful for anyone else.

PAS fluid was part number G004000M2 for 1L, but I only needed around 400ml to re-fill the system.

You can see the corrosion around the mounting point that caused the leak in the old pipe:

[​IMG]

The other 2 mounting points were also corroded, although not yet leaking. I suspect it would only be a matter of time though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New pipe waiting to be fitted (part number 8N0422885A):

[​IMG]

I also purchased new grommets (N90037701), metal top-hat spacers (8N0422121) and 10mm hex bolts (N90750601):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used 16mm-25mm hose clips to secure the pipe to the flexible hose:

[​IMG]

New pipe installed & ready to go:

[​IMG]
  15. v5 tt

v5 tt Member

[Dec 15, 2012]
    I had this pipe go on mine metal pipe burst i got pirtek at my work to cut the
    rusted piece out and re-connected up with hose done the job perfectly
  16. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 15, 2012]
    Good work.

How much did the parts set you back Paul?
  17. The Doctor

[Dec 16, 2012]
    £101.10 inc VAT for everything. As you may expect, I wanted to do a proper job rather than patch it up.
  18. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 16, 2012]
    Despite my low mileage Paul, I've always had a little butchers around underneath on the ramp at the MOT station, the last tester did mention the powersteering pipe, but nothing to worry about. Might get a coat of hammerite on it before it does rust through.
  19. The Doctor

[Dec 16, 2012]
    Yeah I'd already done that around the mounting points a couple of years ago, but the corrosion had already set in by the time I could get to it. Anyway, all good now (until the other one goes...!).
  20. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

[Dec 17, 2012]
    I'm so glad they don't salt the roads here. It's really hard to spot any rust on the underside of mine.

Think I'll be doing one of these hoses soon though. There's a few spots where they've been rubbing.