Panel filter

Patrico777

Reaction score
Got audi a3 tdi s line black edition 2011 wonder which panel filter to get??
These below picture are in stock at eurocar parts

Attachments

• 6A22EE50-82E7-4042-871E-4584AF96F8A0.png
    6A22EE50-82E7-4042-871E-4584AF96F8A0.png
    501.3 KB · Views: 109
Just get a standard one no point in others

Been proven on the rollers, standard panel filter is best.

Oe is more than adequate and offers no restriction .

The trouble is the marketing where the term 'performance' is used .

In some applications there is a genuine gain where there is a restriction , beit small airbox , small induction pipes , etc .

Only my own view - but a complete waste of money. I've personally experienced one, made from cheap foam, covered in nasty oily slime which did not even fit into an OE BMW air box. Get a nice Mann one in there for under £10 and change it every 2-years. Your car and MAF sensor will love you for it.

Only my own view - but a complete waste of money. I've personally experienced one, made from cheap foam, covered in nasty oily slime which did not even fit into an OE BMW air box. Get a nice Mann one in there for under £10 and change it every 2-years. Your car and MAF sensor will love you for it.
Its been changed for new one not sure what brand but was done need to check, so oem is better for maf sensors and for car ??

The various "slimy potions" put on some of the non-paper filters is said to run the risk of contaminating the delicate metal probes on MAF sensors. I mentioned Mann as a premium, aftermarket example - the importance is just keeping one in there that it relatively clean. Most OE servicing regimes stretch the change period to around 4-years which is quite a long time.

The various "slimy potions" put on some of the non-paper filters is said to run the risk of contaminating the delicate metal probes on MAF sensors. I mentioned Mann as a premium, aftermarket example - the importance is just keeping one in there that it relatively clean. Most OE servicing regimes stretch the change period to around 4-years which is quite a long time.
I alwYs had kn filter jn every car never had issues

Reactions: Mark A Greenwood
I alwYs had kn filter jn every car never had issues
Confused why you asked for advice when it seems you have decided which you perfer just going by the way you have stated the kn filter with no ossues

Confused why you asked for advice when it seems you have decided which you perfer just going by the way you have stated the kn filter with no ossues
I might try ITG wanted advice which is best brand to go for if I get one

The best filter and flow performance will come with a paper filter. That's why the manufacturers fit them. If there is a restriction in the flow it will be due to sharp bends or poor joints that disrupt a smooth flow in the intake pipe long before the filter becomes an issue.

The best filter and flow performance will come with a paper filter. That's why the manufacturers fit them. If there is a restriction in the flow it will be due to sharp bends or poor joints that disrupt a smooth flow in the intake pipe long before the filter becomes an issue.
That's not actually correct. Yes, the OEM paper filter will always give the best filtration but due this this, they clog very quickly so need to be cleaned / changed more often. Wire mesh (K&N) and foam (pipercross) offer slightly better airflow due to the very fact that they don't filter as well, which can be an issue in some climates i.e. sandy, dusty etc... Plus, the K&N will outlast the paper element so can save you money over a period of time. I had one fitted to my S3 for a few years and as long as they are cleaned with an airline every service they will last virtually forever.

Take a read of this review (it mentions panel filters near the bottom) ... http://www.fastcar.co.uk/tuning/performance-car-air-filter-test/

Having said all that, the difference in performance is marginal when it comes to panel filters - but every little helps, and I was able to achieve 340ps using a K&N panel filter in the OEM airbox and that was on a conservative dyno.

The point about smoothing airflow is very important - Samco offer a silicon replacement intake pipe for the S3 which replaces the OEM plastic flexi pipe. This was developed on my car and produced better response and 11ps improvement at the top end (with almost 20ps improvement in the mid range). http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samco-Spo...Kit-fits-Audi-S3-with-K04-Turbo-/282406862039

Full intakes will always give better top end power but I found that they affected the low end response / turbo pickup and they are too noisy for my old ears!

That's not actually correct. Yes, the OEM paper filter will always give the best filtration but due this this, they clog very quickly so need to be cleaned / changed more often. Wire mesh (K&N) and foam (pipercross) offer slightly better airflow due to the very fact that they don't filter as well, which can be an issue in some climates i.e. sandy, dusty etc... Plus, the K&N will outlast the paper element so can save you money over a period of time. I had one fitted to my S3 for a few years and as long as they are cleaned with an airline every service they will last virtually forever.

Take a read of this review (it mentions panel filters near the bottom) ... http://www.fastcar.co.uk/tuning/performance-car-air-filter-test/

Having said all that, the difference in performance is marginal when it comes to panel filters - but every little helps, and I was able to achieve 340ps using a K&N panel filter in the OEM airbox and that was on a conservative dyno.

The point about smoothing airflow is very important - Samco offer a silicon replacement intake pipe for the S3 which replaces the OEM plastic flexi pipe. This was developed on my car and produced better response and 11ps improvement at the top end (with almost 20ps improvement in the mid range). http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samco-Spo...Kit-fits-Audi-S3-with-K04-Turbo-/282406862039

Full intakes will always give better top end power but I found that they affected the low end response / turbo pickup and they are too noisy for my old ears!
Im going for KN as I always did Also got kn recharge kit so can clean it as well u reckon kn is best bet from the lot I listed?

Just found out on websearch kn damagez mAf sensors ?! Now im confused!

I ordered the ITG panel filter from eurocar parts £40 gonna install it tomorrow as its not in stock so they ordered it for ms

Full intakes will always give better top end power but I found that they affected the low end response / turbo pickup and they are too noisy for my old ears![/QUOTE said:
Well get yourself a VWR CAI. Mine makes a slight wooshing noise but you only really hear it with the windows down.

Got link where to buy it ? As ebay doesnt find it

Not what you are looking for , its a full intake system and £500 :)