1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panel filter

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by jonny87, Mar 7, 2012.

1. jonny87

jonny87 Active Member

[Mar 7, 2012]
    im sure this would have been covered before but after alot of searching and even more trawling i couldnt find anything :(

anyway, panel filters (k&n, piper cross etc) are they worth the £35+ they cost?

I'm not looking for an extra 10bhp and 30nm's here, better throttle response and a bit more of an induction roar would be nice though, so whats everyones opinion?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 2, 2014]

3. jjmurphy21187

jjmurphy21187 Tiptronic

[Mar 7, 2012]
    I had a pipercross on my old 2.5tdi, thought it sounded a bit better but I have a sensitive ear.

Fitted the exact same one on my 3.0tdi this weekend and the difference is minimal to be honest. I also removed what I believe to be a 'snow filter' as it seemed really restrictive. As I'm planning on having the DPF removed and the EGR banked out I figured allowing more air into the engine (and creating minimal restriction of air through all through the engine) could only do good...

Not heard one on a petrol but imagine any noise difference would be slightly more noticeable due to the quieter engine.

Not used a K&N but apparently if you're not careful with the oil they can ruin MAFs...
  4. Stringster

Stringster Missed gear

[Mar 7, 2012]
    Not worth it in my experience. No gain in power and they get dirty quicker.
    Stick with the standard paper filter and change regularly.
    rob0904 likes this.
  5. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

[Mar 7, 2012]
    Definitely increased sound, better performance - not sure ...
  6. ben.w93

ben.w93 Member

[Mar 7, 2012]
    Not too sure about performance, but it makes it sound better. My A4 was fitted with a K&N panel when I bought it, dont think the thing had ever been cleaned, it was full of sh**e. The K&N uses oil to trap dirt and coats the MAF in oil which is a bad thing. Spent ages removing my airbox and MAF carefully cleaning it and removing all the grease from it. I now have a dry pipercross filter on it. To be honest a paper one is perfectly sufficient. Don't go down the cone filter route either because that just draws hot air in you engine bay.
  7. jonny87

jonny87 Active Member

[Mar 8, 2012]
    thanks for your thoughts and experience guys, i had a panel filter on my old s3 but never noticed any difference really

i know to steer clear of k&n due to the oil, not seen the location of the maf on my a4 yet but where ever it is i cba removing it to clean it every few months

maybe i'll try a pipercross for now and see how it goes, can always flog it on afterwards. I'd never have an induction kit unless it was a bma enclosed jobber but theyre mega bucks :( would match my carbon splitter though... ;)
  8. harvey01

harvey01 Member

[Mar 8, 2012]
    i have a new green panel in the wraper £30 posted if your intrested its all part of the stage 1 kit
  9. jonny87

jonny87 Active Member

[Mar 8, 2012]
    not looking to buy just yet mate, brassic

thanks
  10. Marrow

Marrow Member

[Mar 8, 2012]
    Panel filter does nothing for sound or noise ! I had a pipercross panel filter did nothing stick with the std item mate and save your cash.
    I have changed to BSR induction kit which comes with heat shield enclosure so no heat soak issues and sounds awsome but still no power gains just sounds faster lol
  11. ben.w93

ben.w93 Member

[Mar 8, 2012]
    Here is a pic of my airbox dismantled, I can't remember exactly where the MAF sensor is without having the thing in front of me, I can remember that it was held in with security torx screws though.

[​IMG]
  12. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

[Mar 8, 2012]
    Considering its not fully enclosed at the top , would think it gets heat soak from above?
  13. jonny87

jonny87 Active Member

[Mar 9, 2012]
    ah the good old heat soak argument, what ive been told in the past and believe is that, when moving at speed (10mph+) the hot air is pushed out of the engine bay towards the rear of the car, the air box induction kit or whatever will get a decent amount of fresh cold air entering the bay from the front of the car.

only at low speeds or a standstill will it take in hot air, ive only looked at a glance at the airbox but it seems to me that audi fitted a fairly effective cold air feed to the air box.

so the question is, whos r&d is better audis or the likes of k&n or pipercross, i know who my money is on :)
  14. razza1

razza1 Well-Known Member

[Mar 11, 2012]
  15. jonny87

jonny87 Active Member

[Mar 11, 2012]
    because i was talking about heat soak there which wasnt my question at all.

i did kind of answer my own question with the r&d thing but i was still asking for other peoples opinions and experiences, which they gave so thanks to all