Panel filter drone.

anderswhk

Reaction score
Thinking of fitting a Pipecross panel filter on a 1.8T. The stock one performs fine, i am only looking to get some more sound from the engine. I dont want cabin droning tho, as i often drive family members around. Will i get droning from fitting a Pipecross on it?

200hp remap
gfb respons recirc valve

I used to have a k&n panel filter that didn't drone. No noise increase at all

i heard that k&n filters are bad for this particular engine because they use oil on them. is this true, and if thats the case, would i be better off with the pipecross panel filter?

On a turbo engine you dont get that loud throaty noise that could drone that you do on an n/a engine. Sounds a touch more meaty but 90% of the noise is turbo spooling whistle.

On a turbo engine you dont get that loud throaty noise that could drone that you do on an n/a engine. Sounds a touch more meaty but 90% of the noise is turbo spooling whistle.

I can get the pipecross panel filter very cheap. If all im gonna get is louder turbo spool, then i dont think im gonna bother.

To be honest for someone that uses the internet as a source of information, it sure is confusing. I can find atleast 20 threads from various other automotive forums that suggests cold air intakes give slight performance gains, while others claim they do the exact opposite on normal street cars. my mechanic told me cone filters are generally a bad idea unless i wanna go through my maf sensor faster. I didnt ask him about the panel filters tho.

should have the ko3s and shouldn't be much louder if louder at all with a panel filter

You know what he probably said k03s instead. He was spouting alot of mumbo jumbo and i didnt understand half of it :)

Wasnt expect more than around 180-185 after the remap, so i was pleasently surprised.

When i think of cabin droning, i think of those people with fart can exausts. being inside the cabin is not a good experience. they all have those mufflers and a cold air intake, and i wanna void that humming sound.

My Carbonio ROARS very deep raspy intake, sound nice on full boost when the turbo whistles.

My opinion of "Pipercross" is typically Stage "Halfords" - there's alot more options out there

Yeah k&n aren't really too good for te MAF due to the oil. That's why I said used to have. I now have a Jetex cone filter.

If you can get it cheap then I'd just go for it. If you don't 'like' it once fitted then sell it on.

My Carbonio ROARS very deep raspy intake, sound nice on full boost when the turbo whistles.

My opinion of "Pipercross" is typically Stage "Halfords" - there's alot more options out there

Not really sure what you mean by Stage "Halfords" (Not british). What panel filter would you suggest instead?

He is saying pipercross is a cheap and chavy brand. In his opinion of corse. In my opinion it's a well know and good quality brand.

I'd recommend a Jetex panel filter, personally.

Panel filter wise, green cotton is the best with a amoothed aribox, been proven time again. If yu want the best possible intake to allow the engine to breath then either buy a jetex or bmc cone filter, and unlike what your mechanic frins said cone filters, if bought from proper companys and secured properly will not kill a maf any quicka than a standard setup.

I have a pipercross panel filter fitted in my Audi but my box is drilled and smoothed plus has a cold air feed pipe from the front bumper and it's fantastic I did have a Simota induction kit fitted and my car just hated it and I never looked back now so I would say go with the pipercross mate there not that expensive and work really well

Cant get any of those brands that have been named in this thread, like Green cotton or bmc. Dont feel like waiting weeks for them to come in, pipecross are fairly cheap, can get them for around 25 gbp. might try it out, thanks for the repiles guys

I have a pipercross panel filter fitted in my Audi but my box is drilled and smoothed plus has a cold air feed pipe from the front bumper and it's fantastic I did have a Simota induction kit fitted and my car just hated it and I never looked back now so I would say go with the pipercross mate there not that expensive and work really well

How did you make this? Drilled a hole and added a rubber tube of some sort?

Hi anderswhk mate right firstly just used the existing hole in the airbox to squeeze the pipe into fitted great then ran it to the front bumper cut it out and fitted a air trumpet and tasty mod that makes a big difference for me hope the pods help mate see below

The bumper mod
a91d206b.jpg

The feed to the the airbox
7bf9a72e.jpg

Hope this helps mate any more info u need just ask mate cheers !

you dont have to cut the bumper mate u can just run the pipe down to it but i want to run it outside and its a great mod but the choice is yours

good luck whatever you decide mate

Okay so im about to order the Green Cotton panel filter from AUDI - Waxacar Green Performance Air Filters

A3 has k03s with a gfb divertervalve, 200hp. otherwise stock. should i be getting the filter intended for the 150 a3, the 180 (think its called Sport here) or one for the s3?

Oh, and by the way do you know if they ship outside the UK? Having a hard time finding any info on that.

i use a pipercross pf and its brilliant nowt wrong with em and halfords pffft

the pipercross filter is well constructed and not a halfords barrrp filter

I can get the pipecross panel filter very cheap. If all im gonna get is louder turbo spool, then i dont think im gonna bother.

To be honest for someone that uses the internet as a source of information, it sure is confusing. I can find atleast 20 threads from various other automotive forums that suggests cold air intakes give slight performance gains, while others claim they do the exact opposite on normal street cars. my mechanic told me cone filters are generally a bad idea unless i wanna go through my maf sensor faster. I didnt ask him about the panel filters tho.

this is **** cone filters are fine they are just more exposed to engine heat so at speed its fine but in traffic jams etc the heat blds up in the engine bay. its not a real issue tho its down to preference alot people use them for the sound only others make use of the performancegains with cold ir feeds etc on my R5 gtts i monted the cone in the scuttle to avoid heat soak

Plus the scuttle is a high pressure area so the filter would have a massive amount of cold air hitting it. Probably one of the best places for it to sit if you`ve got the usual grille type scuttle ^^

great, but that doesnt answer the question about what panel filter i should get, seeing as the car has a little more hp than stock, should i get a filter made for 1.8ts with more power? does it even matter?

mine is a 1.8t with a remap and i use the pipercross and would say go for that

been considering the scuttle on a3 but dont want tohole saw the car i dunno i might lol

Panel filter wise, green cotton is the best with a amoothed aribox, been proven time again. If yu want the best possible intake to allow the engine to breath then either buy a jetex or bmc cone filter, and unlike what your mechanic frins said cone filters, if bought from proper companys and secured properly will not kill a maf any quicka than a standard setup.

Ive ordered a green cotton panel filter............smoothing out my air box........is it that simple? or do i need to do anything else? cheers